We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris
2 posts
Save Topic
get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

hi

I need to get to royal lancaster hotel from stansted airport, any idea how? I'm landing at 22:40 p.m , not sure if there is a train/bus/underground to there...thanks !

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

You would be better asking this in the London forum. While you sre correct taht Stansted airport is in Cambridgeshire, it's viewed as one of London's airports, and that's also where your hotel is (I assume you mean the Roysl lancaster Hotel in Bayswater?).

However ... there is an airport train, called the Stansted Express, which runs from Stansted to Liverpool Street rail terminus in London. From there you need to pick up the Central (tube) line to Lancaster Gate underground station.

HOWEEVER ... YOU ARE ARRIVING VERY LATE, so you are likely to find that by the time you get to Liverpool Street, the tube has stopped running. In general, you should assume that the tube will stop running around midnight. (The Stansted Express runs rather later).

In that case, I would probably still get the Stansted Express to Liverpool Street, and take a taxi from there. It might be advisable to pre-book a taxi to meet you there.

Windsor
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

One option that will work whatever time is to get the National Express Stansted to Victoria bus, this runs a 24x7 service.

Get off at the Marble Arch stop.

Cross over the road (Park Lane) to Hyde Park and walk round to Bayswater Road by the subways under Marble Arch. Bayswater Road is signposted.

The Royal Lancaster is about 800m away directly opposite the park in the middle of a large traffic island. There are night buses along the Bayswater Road all night, there are taxi's or you can walk. You cannot miss it, it is by Lancaster Gate Underground.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

I would not suggest using any subway at that time of night get as far as you can by coach and then get a cab

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

anu - assuming by "subway" you mean the Tube, can I ask why? Are you just syaing that it won't be running (as I say, it's wise to assume the Tube shuts down around midnight), or are you trying to suggest it is in some way dangerous at night? The latter just isn't true.

Paris
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

thank you all for the advices regarding the arrival to lancaster hotel. one more question about the stansfed train express & tube- do you assume it is dangerous to take it so late at night? or it is OK to take a train and then a taxi (since the tube is supposed to work only by midnight)

thanks

Lior

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

Assuming you are not travelling on a Sunday when everything shuts down earlier, the last train out of Stansted that would get you to Liverpool St in time to catch the tube is the 23.22. If its a short haul flight with no delays you might just be in time for this.

Travelling at this time of night is not dangerous; there are usually plenty of people arund in the stations and trains.

I think the last train to Liverpool Street is 23.59 - the tube would be closed but you could get 2 night buses to Lancaster Gate (or a taxi); after that you would be reliant on nationalexpress coaches to Marble Arch.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

The tube is not dangerous, even late at night. The only reason to not take it is that you are likely to be arriving at Liverpool St after midmight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

I'd take the bus, to be honest. Traffic won't be a problem at that time of night and if you get off at Marbel Arch you're not far from the hotel at all. Even if you missed the stop and ended up at Victoria, you're not that far and a cab won't break the bank. It's not worth stressing about whather trains/tubes will still be running or not

Neither mainline trains nor tubes are dangerous at any time of the day or night

Sudbury, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

CuriousOrange, you need to check a map... Stansted Airport is in Essex, and a good 15 miles south of the border with Cambridgeshire. In fact I have no idea why this post is on the Cambridge forum at all!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: get to royal lancaster hotel from Stansted airport

True considering Stansted has its' own forum