We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

country house hotel near cambridge?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
country house hotel near cambridge?

We would like to take our daughter, who is studying at Cambridge out for a night away from the bustle of the town. Have been trying to find a really good country house hotel not too far away with a good restaurant and possibly a spa...does anyone have any suggestions? many thanks

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

The Hotel Felix on Huntingdon Road looks really nice and is just outside Cambridge.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

thanks but was hoping for somewhere a bit further away and more of country house feel, any other ideas?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
122 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

Afraid there aren't masses of choices outside Cambridge. On the very expensive and exclusive end there is Hambleton Hall - very accomplished restaurant and very luxurious hotel in a lovely little village about an hour or so from Cambridge. Afraid I don't think there are any spa treatments.

Closer you could try Tuddenham Mill - much the same as above but not as pricey.

If you're intent on a spa then the only place I can think of off-the-top-of-my-head is Hanbury Manor (just under an hour away), but this is basically a fancy Marriott Golf resort with the spa put there for the non-players... I've not been there so recently but my memories are that everything's luxurious enough but the restaurant seemed a little boring and everything does feel rather safe and bland.

The only place I've stayed at that I can really recommend might just be too far away - but I feel it does tick all your boxes. Congham Hall is just outside King's Lynn, around 1h 20 from Cambridge - but it is fantastic.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

Perhaps, being presumptuous about your budget, but accessible and off the A14 from Cambridge.

http://www.ickworthhotel.co.uk/

and/or

http://www.hintleshamhall.co.uk/estate.html

Just ideas!

Both appear to have good spa facilities although we would check to see if a wedding reception is taking place.

Cannot give personal recent advice. Carrier was still thriving when we last visited the latter!

Edited: 2:21 pm, October 28, 2013
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

I was also going to suggest Ickworth House which is about three quarters of an hour away from Cambridge. This is most definitely a country house - it is actually an enormous National Trust property set in extensive parkland (lots of walks, deer park, lake, kitchen gardens etc).

One wing is now a rather luxurious Hotel - I've never stayed there because my family all live close by, but it has a very good local reputation for food.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

many thanks for those suggestions, will look into them.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

Paddock House in Six Mile Bottom near Newmarket , its a gorgeous hotel.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

What about the Grange hotel, bury st Edmunds or the ickworth hotel? Same location.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

Down Hall between Matching and Hatfield Heath. Visit Hatfield Broad Oak and the marriage feast room at Matching whilst there.

10. Re: country house hotel near cambridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 31, 2014