We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City transportation from the train station

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
City transportation from the train station

My dilemma is, I'm having trouble finding a hotel or B&B for my vacation dates- there is some festival going on that last weekend in July- and all the available places are not too walkable from the train station. Is there a taxi stand near the station? I've never been to Cambridge before. In my last topic, I found out about the bus to Duxford. Now I really need help with how to get around Cambridge itself. As an example, how would I get from the train station to the Royal Cambridge hotel (Trumpington St) or the Brooklands Guest House (Cherry Hinton Rd) without a car?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: City transportation from the train station

< there is some festival going on that last weekend in July >

Cambridge Folk Festival - the major folk festival in the UK

Buses - www.stagecoachbus.com/localdefault.aspx…

And whilst there is a taxi rank both the places you mention are within 10 minutes walk of the station - though the Brooklands should be more expensive as it's close to the festival site.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City transportation from the train station

Are you attending the great Cambridge Folk Festival DenverBJ ?

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City transportation from the train station

I think DenveBJ is coming here to visit the IWM at Duxford. The Royal is a bit more than a 10 minute walk - at least 20 - maybe a little more depending on how much luggage you have :o) There are some other hotels closer to the Station - The Centennial on Hills Rd, for example, though that gets mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. Picking up a taxi at the Station shouldn't be that difficult though, as Alanrow says, there is a rank just outside the station exit. Lots of the city buses go via the train station as well, so you do have scope.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,922 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City transportation from the train station

Hi Denve BJ,

Don't know much about you or your requirements but there is a youth hostel (google YHA) only a few hundred yards from the station.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City transportation from the train station

Hi, Both C1 and C3 head towards Cherry Hinton but for Brooklands Guest House you'd need the C3 specifically as it almost passes the door. In regards to Royal Cambridge, my best suggestion would be to walk a short way from the station to Brooklands Avenue and catch the Uni 4, as it will stop a short distance away, there isn't a direct bus from the train station to that location I'm afraid.

Brooklands Guest House does have a bus passing it every 10 minutes during the day, but on the way back could get full of people from the Folk Festival, as it's the most direct bus out of the area, if you were to stay there, either walk into town or walk the short distance to Hills Road Sixth Form college and really aim for a C8 , 13/13A or C7 to avoid buses coming from the folk festival area if you do stay that weekend.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City transportation from the train station

Sounds good. If Cambridge,England is anything like Cambridge, Massachusetts, this will be a good place to get over my jet lag.

Thanks for all the good info!

7. Re: City transportation from the train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 01, 2014