We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest/ quickest means of travel between london cambridge

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cheapest/ quickest means of travel between london cambridge

What's the best way to travel to and from london and cambridge. I'm planning a weekend trip and would like to get tickets WAY in advance so they're as cheap as possible...

The ideal plan would be to get to Cambridge on Friday night (setting off from London in the late afternoon), and then getting back to London by Sunday evening/ late afternoon.

Thanks! :)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,399 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapest/ quickest means of travel between london cambridge

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Trains from London Liverpool Street or King's Cross take about an hour or so. Advance tickets available 12 weeks before travel

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,044 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapest/ quickest means of travel between london cambridge

Cheapest:

www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

Quickest:

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/

Best:

Personally I have my PA arrange a private jet with limo transfers at both ends.

BTW, travelling out from London on a Friday evening and back on a Sunday evening are not the best times to find cheap tickets, because of the demand from travellers wanting to get away from London for the weekend. You are more likely to get a bargain of you travel in the middle of the day in the middle of the week.

Edited: 12:48 pm, February 22, 2012
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapest/ quickest means of travel between london cambridge

Unless things have changed in the last month or two there are NEVER any advance rail tickets between London and Cambridge - just anytime/off peak ticktes that are the same price on the day

So by all means check but I think you will be wasting your time

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapest/ quickest means of travel between london cambridge

As wirewiper says , try the coach for cheapness or the train for speed, or if your very lucky hitch a lift with him.....

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cheapest/ quickest means of travel between london cambridge

hahahaha!

unfortunately travelling during the week isn't an option cause both my brother (whom i'm going to visit) and I have school...

but thanks :)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheapest/ quickest means of travel between london cambridge

If it helps the fast trains to kings cross take 50 mins these are non stop, generally Liverpool street trains take between 70-90 minutes and are slow but some new semi fast services have recently started with more reasonable journey times but if you want to get there fast it's better to either take a Liverpool street fast train or non stop from Kings Cross. By the way, if you need to get into the centre of Cambridge get a plusbus add on to your ticket this can save money and gets you into town and back and around on all buses in the area I think for £2 more, far less than a on the bus day ticket.

7. Re: cheapest/ quickest means of travel between london cambridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 18, 2013