We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeting place

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cumbria UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Meeting place

I am hoping someone can help in suggesting a meeting place in Cambridge. We will be travelling down the A1 from the north and are going to meet our son who will be travelling up from Bournemouth. We need an easy to find place where we can meet up and possible have lunch before we go our separate ways. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cambridge,UK
Level Contributor
229 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeting place

Remember the A1 doesnt come direct to Cambridge, you will have to join the A14 Near Huntingdon, then approx 20 mins to Northern Edge if Traffic is good ( it normally is`nt ! ).

Coming from Bournemouth your son will have to turn off at either Baldock for A505 ( 35 mins to Cambridge ) or at Sandy 40 mins !!

Unless you really need to meet at Cambridge I suggest you both meet at Wyboston Lakes on A1,nice hotel there at Junction with A428 for St Neots, can`t remember Juction number but will save you time with Cambridge Traffic .

Cumbria UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeting place

Thanks for that -will look at the map. We are actually meeting to go on to Great Yarmouth, would that still be a good place?.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeting place

In that case, I would say not, as you will want to go A1-A14-A11-A47 to Gt Yarmouth, and your son will want to go A1/A505/A11 OR M11/A11 (doesn't make much difference to his travel time)

If you don't actually want to visit Cambridge itself, then I wouldn't bother going in to the city, as traffic is a bit of a drag, and parking is a big drag

I have a couple of other suggestions:

The Crown & Punchbowl at Horningsea:

www.thecrownandpunchbowl/co.uk

It's a posh-ish eating pub, very nice, in a nice little village that's just off J34 of the A14. Very easy for you to get to, your son would have to go round Cambridge to the west and north on the M11 and A14 to get to it.

For something slightly less posh and equally easy for both of you, drive into Newmarket and go to the White Hart:

http://www.whitehartnewmarketpub.co.uk/

Very easy to find. Follow the signs into Newmarket town centre (on A1303 for you, on A1304 for your son), past the racecourse, down the hill and it's the big pub/hotel on the left just by the traffic lights. Plenty of parking

Cumbria UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeting place

Thank you so much for your help and prompt reply. Regards.

5. Re: Meeting place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 06, 2012