We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around cambridge? buses or taxi?

am5
MN
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
getting around cambridge? buses or taxi?

I'm staying right in the centre of cambridge at one of the colleges. However, I'll need to get to the outskirts of town - to Addenbrooke's. What's the best way to get there? Are there certain spots in town for taxi ranks/stands? Or is there a bus stop near Sidney Sussex college that will take me in the direction of Addenbrookes?

How much for a bus ride or taxi fare? Is there a bus pass I should buy since I'll be in Cambridge several days?

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
Duxford...
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting around cambridge? buses or taxi?

Hi there,Sidyney Sussex is in the pedestrain part of Cambridge but a short walk from the main bus station where you will find plenty of buses that run to Addenbrookes, the bus takes about 10 minutes and you can get a day rider or even one for a week, which I thiink you can buy on the bus - this is the website for the main bus operator

www.stagecoachbus.com/localdefault.aspx…

SFx

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting around cambridge? buses or taxi?

As above, take the bus. There are lots going to the hospital, and the main bus station is only a 5 minute walk (if that) from Sidney Sussex, less if you're actually staying in the student accommodation in King St

Taxis will cost an arm and a leg and be no more convenient

Cambridge
Level Contributor
86 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting around cambridge? buses or taxi?

Bus. Lots of these go from the city centre as mentioned already and there's a mini bus station at the hospital for your return. I doubt the trip will take ten minutes at busy times of the day ... allow more.

For a limited stop bus to Addenbrookes you could look at park and ride. The Babraham road bus calls at Addenbrookes. Even they have 15 mins for the trip to the city centre (emmanuel street) . You can't get the cheaper P&R tickets if you start in the city centre but day rider tickets are valid (£3.50)

travelineeastanglia.org.uk/ea/…

Or hire a bike and cycle and feel like a local!

4. Re: getting around cambridge? buses or taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 02, 2012