We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge park and ride

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Cambridge park and ride

You have to pay for a ticket for each person elsewhere it's usually just for the car. If there's more than 2 adults you might as well park in town.  Defeats the object! Also if you are thinking of using city tours it stops outside the free park and ride car park, save yourself some money!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambridge park and ride

I don't personally use it and park in town - but the town centre car parks are very expensive for long stays; on Sundays, however, the car parks are more realistically priced.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
715 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambridge park and ride

It is definitely true that you pay per adult on the park and ride, £2.40 if you buy your ticket from the machine, £2.70 from the driver.

Just remember thought that City Centre car parks are around £2.00 per hour for short stay, and over 5 hours is £23 on weekdays and £27 on Saturdays, Sundays are at the bargain rate of £1.80 per hour.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambridge park and ride

There are multiple Park & Ride routes that you might find useful. Here is a link to a map and additional info that you might find useful.

parkandride.net/cambridge/cambridge_frameset…

Enjoy your visit to Cambridge!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,771 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambridge park and ride

Need to poke my nose in with a question. I am going to have to visit Trinity College, driving up from Hertfordshire. I am a country girl and not used to driving in traffic (fine scooting up the sides of moors or dodging tourists in the lanes) so this park and ride sounds promising. Are they easy to get to and is there one near the college.

Looked at map of Cambridge but I couldn't relate the location of the college with the park & rides. Or maybe I could get there by going round the outside?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambridge park and ride

Yes, easy to get to

There's one at Trumpington, just off the M11 J on the A10 (assuming if you're coming from Herts you'll be coming A1/A505/A10

Or failing that one at Madingley, 2 junctions up the M11 at J13

Both very near to the motorway and obviously signed

The Madingley one has a less congested route into the city centre to negotiate, so tends to be quicker

All P&Rs deposit passengers on Emmanuel Street or just round the corner by the Grand Arcade shopping centre. (St.Andrew's St and Downing St if you're looking at a map). From there it's a 5 minute walk through pedestrianised streets to Trinity St where the eponymous college is located

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambridge park and ride

There's nothing more calm then driving in Cambridge so you'll be comfortable driving to and in the city center if you wish so. There are only a few cars at pick time but nothing special. Personally I think It's a typical rural city and most drivers are very helpful and really calm.

Although if you prefer the Park and Ride option, it's a good and less expensive one. You can park there and catch a park and ride bus to the city center. All of them stop in the hot spots of the city center and the drivers are very helpful giving you directions. You have a bus stop a few minutes away (2 to 3 minutes) from Trinity College which is located in Bridge Street.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
715 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambridge park and ride

If you are coming from hertfordshire, turn North onto the M11 exit at Junction 13 (Madingley Road) and turn right at the T junction, the park and ride is immediately on your left. This route will drop you on the corner of Bridge Street and St Johns Street. Walk up ST Johns Street which becomes Trinity Street and Trinity College is on your right after approx 200 yards.

Ignore everything in the previous post, the council in cambridge is exceedingly anti motorist, we have traffic congestion, pedestrianised areas, rising bollards which can destroy your car and extortianate car parking fees.

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambridge park and ride

I think that "ignoring" others pieces of advice might be a little strong but I accept everyone's opinions. Yes, Cambridge might have a bit of traffic at pic hours and the council is trying to fight that but it's nothing special really, comparing to major cities where, traffic is really really terrible and you might take hours to reach your destination.

I guess it all depends of everyone's driving experiences, I mean, it all depends on the locations you're use to drive but personally, I think that Cambridge is very rural and quiet comparing to other places I used to drive so I can only give my personal advice.

Cambridge Traffic is not a bogeyman even for a countryside girl, I must say.

Although the different, personal opinions, the directions from Hertforshire to Cambridge given by the previous post are very helpful, you should follow them, Sue. It's this kind of positive directions and pieces of advice that make the difference and that must be praised.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambridge park and ride

I have not found driving in Cambridge too much of a problem but parking can be, have you considered the train?

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cambridge park and ride

I've lived near Cambridge for many years and have frequently got caught up in long traffic queues - e.g. taking one hour to get along one side of Parker's Piece (distance 1/4 mile).

The main car parks are very expensive - the most notorious being the very central Grand Arcade car park which costs £23 if you park over 5 hours on a week day - the one nearest Trinity College is a mere £22 for that period! See:

cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/…

As Bongodog suggests, the P & R with the best route for Trinity College is Madingley Road. P& R isn't good if you are staying late into the evening as the last buses are around 8pm, but they are worth while for day time visits.