We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

I arrive at Heathrow around 8:30am and need to be on campus(judge business school) by 11:30am. I looked up the national express coach website and they don't have any coach service around this hour in the morning. The earliest I found was a service at 2:45pm. Am I missing something here? What is the quickest and economical way to commute. I'm looking at just a weekend backpack, so no worries with luggage.

And what are my options for return trip back to Heathrow on a Sunday early hours in the morning?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,396 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

You are looking at the NX website incorrectly. From the Central Bus Station between T1 & T3 there are hourly coaches at 10 minutes past the hour even on Sundays. However the first possible coach you could get doesn't get you to Cambridge, let alone to the Business School, much before midday.

You could take a Tube to Kings Cross then train from there then taxi from Cambridge station and that might get you there before 11:30.

If it is essential that you arrive by 11:30 then your only real option is to throw money at the problem and get a car service - find one that is based in Cambridge rather than a London service as they'll know where you want to go and will probably be cheaper.

BTW your profile is set to London - clearly you aren't from London otherwise you'd know all the options, so where are you actually from and where are you flying from?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

<<I arrive at Heathrow around 8:30am and need to be on campus(judge business school) by 11:30am.>>

If you really NEED to be there by 1130, a prudent businessman would arrange to arrive the day before, because otherwise he'd have to take the most expensive option, a pre booked car at around £100-£150, and even then its by no means guaranteed ( an international flight a mere hour late would make it impossible for example).

If you'd like to get there without spending too much money, and being a bit late is acceptable, then tube to Kings Cross, train to cambridge, taxi to business school will probably cost £40 in total but its by no means guaranteed.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,396 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

As for getting back - there are several NX coaches from 23:00 onwards even on a Sunday

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

Even if the flight's on time and you have a car waiting, you're going to struggle to make an 1130 meeting. You certainly can't guarantee clearing immigration within an hour, and you've really got to allow 2 hrs for driving from LHR to Cambridge

If you're coming from Europe, review the options for coming through Stansted, which is Cambridge's local airport.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

Thank you all for the responses.

-Somehow I still come up with only a 14:45 coach leaving T1&T3? Where am I going wrong with my search?

-Here is the split I came up with the train travel option. Please correct me if am wrong.

T5 to Kingcross (Tube 1 hour)

Kingcross to Cambridge (FCC 50mins to 1hr 20mins depending on the train)

Cambridge train station to JBS (Cab 10 mins)

Adding about 30 mins between transfers and wait times - Total about 3 hours (conservative)?

-Cost 5(tube) + 20(fcc) + cab fare?? + tip??

-I will be flying in from Chicago

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,396 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

1) Don't know without the dates of travel

2) You need to add on 1 hour from landing to reaching the arrivals area - that's an average and may be quicker or slower, so with a fair wind you could just make it in 3 hours using public transport

Which brings us back to using a car service based in Cambridge who could get you there on time as they would be travelling direct and know the area.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,396 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

1) Having looked at the NX website it would appear you are selecting Cambridge (Trumpington) rather than Cambridge

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

Here's how am trying to look up for coaches:

- www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

- To: Cambridge (Trumpington)

- Date: June 10 (Friday)

- Depart After: 06:00

- Option: Single (One-way)

- Click "See Tickets and Prices"

At this point, am still working out my itinerary. So. exploring all my commute options.

Could you suggest any car services?

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

Yes, you are right, I will selecting the default selection of Cambridge (Trumpington). Got it now :)

-What is the drop off point for the coach at Cambridge? And how much of a commute is it to JBS from the drop-off location?

-What the average cost of cab from Cambridge train station to JBS?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LHR - Cambridge(JBS) Return trip

>>What is the drop off point for the coach at Cambridge?<<

Cambridge central bus station, which is at Drummer Street

>> And how much of a commute is it to JBS from the drop-off location?<<

A 10 minute walk

>>-What the average cost of cab from Cambridge train station to JBS?<<

At a guess (while since I took a taxi in Cambridge) about £10