I am planning a day trip from London to the Cambridge area in mid Sept 2010. The main purpose is to go to the American Cemetery in Madingley and the Imperial War Museum in Duxford. Between these two, a lot of my day is taken up with travel. I have come up with 2 approximate plans:
1) Train Kings Cross to Cambridge
2) HOHO Bus to Cemetery 10:06 (arrive about 10:40?)
3) Cemetery 1 hour
4) HOHO Bus into town (would stop by where Drummer St turns into Parker St behind Emmanuel College be the same as the City Centre bus stop for the Citi 7 bus to IWM Duxford or should I keep going to train station?)
5) Citi 7 bus to Duxford leaves train station at 13:25, arr IWM 14:08
6) IWM until 17:00, last bus back to train station 17:22, arr station 18:10
2nd plan puts IWM first, leaving train station 9:25, has the same amount of time in both places, and finishes at American Cemetery at 16:00.
With either plan, I might have a little time in Cambridge itself, but then could not use the HOHO bus back to the station.
I found 2 60 min self guided audio tours of Cambridge here:
Does this seem worth it? In that case, I should do the museum first as I would finish earlier in the day and then have more daylight for walking around Cambridge. I guess I will eat lunch at IWM, as there's not really any time budgeted in there for eating.
Any other suggestions or comments on the plan? I know it looks really strictly timed (and has a lot of walking), but I was going by the times of the HOHO bus and the Citi 7 bus to see how it would fit together.