We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

I'm looking for a good quality sushi restaurant in Cambridge. Any recommendations?

Many thanks.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
83 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

I think Teri-Aki does sushi, it is on Quayside adjacent to the river and a rather lovely view. Never eaten there. Not noticed any others.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

Thank you for the info. We tried Teri-Aki for lunch today... or rather, I should say, we tried Aki-Teri.... Teri-Aki, right across was closed due to a maintenance issue. It is in a nice area and the sushi was very good. Unfortunately, the service was bad. Customers were kept waiting, others were getting wrong orders, there were problems with their payment machines. It was difficult for us to get service...you have to write down your order on a form and hope a server sees it. The waitress spilled tempura sauce all over my husband and hardly said a word about it, other than offer serviettes. When he asked her for the bill at the end of the meal, she didn't even acknowledge him. But I guess she heard us because she did bring it after all.

Anyway, I don't know if it was a bad day... we may try it again. However, if anyone has other recommendations for a sushi restaurant in the South Cambs area (not necessarily Cambridge), please let me know. We are relatively new to Cambridge having just moved to the area from London.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,514 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

Sounds like a very off day, I go there a fair amount and I've not seen that happen before - I have seen service get very slow in evening when its heaving - particularly in the summer and they haven't enough staff, and thats a time I would avoid like the plague. However, I've never encountered the rudeness you describe...which is unacceptable.

Im not aware of any other in Cambridge itself, I think you would have to go a fair distance to find any decent stuff in a restaurant.

However, if you go down Mill Road the Asian supermarkets there get fresh sushi deliveries on a fairly regular basis - I use Cho Mee a lot for my asian supplies and they certainly get sushi deliveries, but I have seen adverts for fresh sushi in the windows of some of the others...if Teri-AKi was bad enough in service to put you off trying them again then those shops might be an alternative (note Ive not tried their sushi myself, but they do cater to the Japanese market in Cambridge)

There also is/used to be a cambridge sushi company that did delivery to the door.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

Thank you for the useful info, myrm!

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

Unfortunately, there are no decent sushi restaurants in Cambridge. Aki-teri and Teri-aki do try, but the quality is just not there. A trip to London is really required for good sushi (the Japan Centre, Picadilly Circus is a good, and fairly cheap option) but there is other Japanese and East Asian food to be found in Cambridge:

http://www.japanesecambridge.co.uk/page8.htm

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

In case you're still searching for sushi in Cambridge... a new sushi bar opened in July called 'Green Box Sushi' located on Mill Road. It is fresh and the prices aren't bad either.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

Thank you, Thunderbug. I have been to Aki-Teri a few times when I have a sushi craving. The sushi is good but the service is always terrible, which always makes me hesitate going there. Will definitely try the Green Box next time and post an update. Thanks again!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

I just read in this month's Explorer magaizne that the team from Green Box Sushi will be opening another sushi restaurant (this one with lots of seating space). It's called Japas Bento Box and it used to be the old Cross Keys pub on Saxon Street. It opens in mid-April. I will definitely try it and report back.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

I wasn't impressed with Green Box and it seems I'm not the only one:

http://www.japanesecambridge.co.uk/page11.htm

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sushi restaurant in Cambridge

We finally tried Japas Bento Box last week. The sushi was good, with some innovative options and service was friendly. The ambiance isn't that great though. You can't escape the fact that it was a pub. Tables are a bit close together.

The service at Teri-Aki has improved greatly, by the way.