We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baldock (J10/A1) to High Wycombe Next Tues for 9am - Help!

St. Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Baldock (J10/A1) to High Wycombe Next Tues for 9am - Help!

Hello!

Hope someone can help.. I need to get from Baldock (J10 of A1) to High Wycombe next tuesday.. and I have to be there for 9am...

I have put the root thru Google maps and it takes you round the M25, but also option of loads of other routes, like going thru Aylesbury...!

Anyone know the best way to go with the traffic at that time in the morning.. and how long it *should* take..

Also If I'm early, where can I stop for a cuppa?

Thanks in advance!

Bex

Mentioned in this post
High Wycombe
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire, UK
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baldock (J10/A1) to High Wycombe Next Tues for 9am - Help!

That NW quadrant of the M25 can get pretty busy. I'd leave at 7am and expect to be arriving around 8:30am. If you leave it any later, you may take 2 hours +. The alternative x-country route looks a little complicated unless you have a map-reader/satnav.

There's a Holiday Inn at the Handy Cross roundabout (the H.Wycombe exit from the m40) which serves coffee in the lounge. It's a popular rendezvous for business-folk

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baldock (J10/A1) to High Wycombe Next Tues for 9am - Help!

agree with Pool Lounger...we used to drive form Jct 9 every morninga nd if you don't get past Stevenage J 7 by about 7:00am you're gonna add at least 1/2 hour to any journey.

Usually the quickest is to head down the A1 and come off just past the Hatfield Tunnel taking the A414/A405 across to the M25 (Jct 21A) and then up the M40..but there have been major roadworks in teh tunnel recently (don't know whether they have finished).

To avoid that route, one alternative might be to head across (from jct 10) A507, Turn left at `The Airman' pub and down into Hitchin (A600)...follow signs for Luton M1...A505 when you see signs for the airport turn left and follow that road (which runs below the airport) and head for Jct 10 of M1...south to M25 and then around to M40. Alll roads will be busy at that time whichever route...I would set off about 06:30 and you should get to HW by about 08:00 if all runs well, but it allows you some leeway.

Hope all goes well

Mentioned in this post
Stevenage
Stevenage
Hertfordshire, UK
Hatfield
Hatfield
Hertfordshire, UK
Hitchin
Hitchin
Hertfordshire, UK
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baldock (J10/A1) to High Wycombe Next Tues for 9am - Help!

I do this journey regularly going to the outlaws', and there's no easy or convenient cross-country route I'm afraid; all are just as slow as using the (clogged) motorways

There are still roadworks at Hatfield on the A1 and it will be busy all the way form Stevenage to them. And I agree with leaving the A1 at Hatfield and cutting across to the M25 on the A405

Give yourself at least 2 hours, and accept you will be in slow traffic for some of the way I'm afraid

Mentioned in this post
Hatfield
Hatfield
Hertfordshire, UK
St. Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baldock (J10/A1) to High Wycombe Next Tues for 9am - Help!

So you all reckon M25 is the way to go.. but on at Jct 21a..?

I usually travel down the A1 as far as Stevenage in the mornings but no further..

Anyone travelling the M25 currently in the mornings?

Wondering there are any roadworks going on around there and what effect they are having on traffic?

Also what's the M40 like in the mornings as never travelled on it at all?

I'll be on my own without a map reader or sat nav.. so I can't really detour if I have to without getting lost!

Edited: 12:15 pm, May 11, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Stevenage
Stevenage
Hertfordshire, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baldock (J10/A1) to High Wycombe Next Tues for 9am - Help!

Yes there are roadworks on the M25, from Rickmansworth (think it is J19) round to about J17. That will slow things up as well, you can expect a queue from shortly after J20 where the A41 joins (at Kings Langley) to the start of the roadworks, then it frees up

M40 will be OK, you'll be going against the bulk of the traffic

No easy way to avoid the queues to be honest. There are cut throughs from Watford towards Amersham but they are tiny lanes and you have to know them, without a map or satnav I would say you are stuffed

If the M25 is *really* bad then you might be better off going through Watford, Croxley Green, Rickmansworth and then the A404 to Chorleywood, Amersham and then High Wycombe, but it's obviously not going to be quick either

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Amersham
Amersham
Buckinghamshire, UK
High Wycombe
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire, UK
6. Re: Baldock (J10/A1) to High Wycombe Next Tues for 9am - Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, November 08, 2010