We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

Which Aylesbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

Does anyone know what happened to the lovely Bell Inn on the London Road in Aston Clinton. On our first visit in 1985, there was a lovely elderly man running the place with his son. Subsequent visits we saw only the son, who had a limp. My husband and I spent our !0th anniversary there and several New Year's Eves in the 1980s. Would love to return but cannot find it.

55 replies to this topic
Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

@ T H: You can't expect the Bell to be the same as it was in the 60's. Peoples tastes change and the a la carte style of dining which only the rich could afford is out of favour. The present Bell is affordable and approachable for all, locals and visitors alike. It's true that it's part of a chain, but Mitchell & Butler are at the higher end (no, I don't work for them!) which befits an attractive Bucks village.

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
32. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

In those days it was managed by Michael Harris, son of the owner Daphne Harris, my husband's Aunt. Sadly, following her death, it changed hands, was re-named The Duck. and lost a lot of its class. It has recently been refurbished and re-named The Bell, but I doubt whether it can regain the prestigious reputation of its earlier years. Margarita King

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

The Bell is now part of the vintage inns chain - not worth travelling to. It is not the same place of 10 years ago. If you're in the area they do have rooms however or stay at the West Lodge hotel in the village. To eat walk to the Oak (Fullers Beers), by far the best option in the village.

Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

Thank you for the info on what happened to the old Bell in as I'd been planning a trip back there and now realise there is no point as it's gone! We had our honeymoon there in 1990, when it was still a silver service place. The food was superb and service the best I've ever known (and I've stayed in more than my fair share of five star hotels). Having said that, you paid for all this luxury as well! It was VERY expensive and three nights half board was more than the cost of a holiday abroad.

Didn't Evelyn Waugh write the majority of one of his novels at The Bell?

Edited: 5:55 pm, January 30, 2013
Villepot
Level Contributor
3 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

Yes, sometimes it's better to hold the memory rather than have it dashed by revisiting somewhere that has changed dramatically.

My wife and I have had some good times at the old Bell Inn but have no wish to return. We drive past every so often but nothing would persuade us to go in.

St Monans, Fife
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

I was a waiter in the Pavilion in 1979/ 1980, hard work, but rewarding. My colleague, Gary Wheatman, made a full career in the hospitality industry learning his trade in the south of France as a result. He met his wife and as far as I know, lives in the South of France. U2 often stayed there when they played concerts at the Milton Keynes bowl. It was rather posh in those days. The pavilion burned down in the end, I believe.

St Monans, Fife
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

Mmmmm, I wonder who that was? I knew all the waiters that night, you'd have to describe him. Wine was never stolen, nor decanted!

Fort Mill, South...
1 post
Save Reply
38. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

I would love to visit there. I have heard stories of it all my life as my grandparents Steve and Sally Donoghue worked there and my mother, who came to America in 1953, has told stories of it all my life.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

On our first visit in 1985, there was a lovely elderly man running the place with his son. Subsequent visits we saw only the son, who had a limp.

------

Sounds like the plot of a Sherlock Holmes story: "the limping man" perhaps?

Stanley, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
40. Re: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton

Do you know of a chef there in about 1970 called Peter Reisenberg?

Reply to: Bell Inn in Aston Clinton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aylesbury