We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics to/from Bristol from USA

Which Bristol hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
47 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics to/from Bristol from USA

I'm coming from the United States to Somerset in December (for All Tomorrow's Parties) and they advise that Bristol is the closest airport.

Any recommendations on ways to find inexpensive routing? Is it better to fly to a European mainland hub and then change to EasyJet / Ryan Air? To fly to London only and then go by train or bus the remainder?

Thanks!

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics to/from Bristol from USA

Hi BeforeSunrise,

Continental fly direct to Bristol from New York (Newark):

Depart 20:55 Arrive 08:55 CO76

and return:

Depart 10:30 Arrive 13:20 CO77

Are you heading for Minehead? In which case you may be able to get the Flyer from Bristol Airport to Bristol Temple Meads Railway Station. Train to Taunton, then take the West Somerset Railway to Minehead.

bristol-airport-guide.co.uk/transport.html

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics to/from Bristol from USA

Otherwise just fly to Heathrow & get a National Express coach from there - a direct coach to Bristol takes 2 hours & they have other destinations in Somerset.

However that costs £31 - it cheaper to get the Tube to Victoria (£4) and then take a coach from there (prices from £8) but it'll take 2 hours longer overall.

Don't ask why but I suspect it's something about separating folk from their money

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics to/from Bristol from USA

If you're coming from Boston, I would take option of London Heathrow and possible bus (as mentioned eariler) or train.

The trains can get expensive if booked during peak hours, and it often pays to get 2 single tickets (check out the situation on trainline.com)

Whilst I am an avid fan of Bristol airport, and use it most weeks, I am not so sure it has good enough links for you to get to Somerset all the way from Mass.

Should you route into Bristol from another major city in Europe (Paris, Amsterdam etc) then definately take the bus (Bristol Flyer) into Bristol's main train station (Temple Meads) and continue your journey from there.

Bristol
Level Contributor
135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics to/from Bristol from USA

Bear in mind that All Tomorrow's Parties is in Minehead, a couple of hours' drive west of Bristol. Offhand, I don't now of any bus, coach or train links to Minehead from Bristol (or London). You'd probably have to go to Taunton and get a bus from there. Hope you enjoy ATP - was hoping to go myself but it sold out before I gout around to sorting out tickets.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistics to/from Bristol from USA

Are you going solo or as part of a party? (no pun intended)

Once your group numbers start growing other options become ecenomic.

Eg Taxi from Taunton.

If you're going solo then Heathrow will probably give you your cheapest flight options then get a prebooked Heathrow express to Paddington and train to Taunton from there and then the bus!

Good luck and have a great trip.

6. Re: Logistics to/from Bristol from USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, August 27, 2009