We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Bristol, for about a year

Which Bristol hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rockhampton
Level Contributor
119 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Living in Bristol, for about a year

We, ie. the family and I, have the opportunity to live in Bristol for a year. I have a number of questions, for example schools for our children, they are 6 and 9, how would we enroll them?

I know this is a holiday website but could someone point to a suitable place where I could ask these type of questions?

West Harptree...
Level Contributor
977 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Bristol, for about a year

This is a big city so a bit more info. would be useful.

Where will you be living, working etc?

Do you want to live in the city or commute?

I guess you'll be renting a house?

rockhampton
Level Contributor
119 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Bristol, for about a year

working and studying at the university of Bristol. Would like to live without a car so within a couple of Kms of the uni. Yes the plan is to rent a house.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Bristol, for about a year

For schools, I'd contact the council, who will tell you what the procedures are: http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/schools

You will probably want to choose a school before you choose a place to live, since school places are largely allocated according to whether you live in the catchment area. Naturally, housing is more expensive close to the best schools. Google for OFSTED reports and you can read the official reports on the local schools. Asking your contacts at the university for suggestions on schools and areas to live may be a good idea too.

Edited: 3:43 am, June 11, 2012
shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Bristol, for about a year

You will find a lot of information on the city council's website... www.bristol.gov.uk they are responsible for schools etc.

You will be looking in the redland/cotham/clifton/hotwells and central areas and they are well served by good schools and several of the private schools are also in those areas. Not the cheapest parts of the city but a lot of the private rental properties are there. Bristol being built on several hills (like Rome) is a surprising choice for the cycling capital of England however sustrans the alternative travel organisatiuon is based here and campaigns tirelessly for cycle routes etc.

I am not biased at all, of course, but Bristol Uni is one of the best... I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

Edited: 3:47 am, June 11, 2012
West Harptree...
Level Contributor
977 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Bristol, for about a year

You would do well to avoid a car as the traffic in Bristol is so unpredictable and very frustrating.

Definitely choose a school first and then look for a house. There are many private landlords in Bristol, me included, that will not charge you non-refundable fees so try looking on Gumtree and trade-it for private rentals.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in Bristol, for about a year

Questions about relocation are not travel related and normally removed

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston super Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in Bristol, for about a year

Hi, there are some lovely apartments on Harbourside. Hotwells school used to be very good. You could walk to the University. Living cloce to the water is lovely. Close enough to walk into town, but far enough away to be quiet at night, with lots to do with young children at the weekends.

We loved it.