We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe in February

Cape Town, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Europe in February

We're thinking of doing a guided tour with Trafalgar that covers France, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Italy. But the most convenient time for us is in Jan or Feb. As this is in winter, how will the experience be compared to doing this tour in summer? How cold is it in terms of degrees, night life, etc.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe in February

the winter here this year was quite cool. Some days it hit below freezing and we had snow. A couple of days saw it a lot warmer at around 7C even 10C in London. You just never know. If we get the winds from Siberia we get the heavy snow too - well going from the past couple of years.

<< how will the experience be compared to doing this tour in summer? >>

IMO England is more beautiful in summer then it is in winter. Don't get me wrong - winter is very nice but summer is much better. I prefer hiking and driving around the Cotswolds and the Lake District hence the summer activites for me.

Nightlife in the summer around Cornwall (Newquay especially) and London is very much alive. If you want nightlife with a huge party atmosphere then Newquay when uni. is out. It really gets pumping then.

London nightlife is pretty much the same all year round with Xmas / NY being the busier.

Edited: 11:38 am, August 03, 2010
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe in February

You could post this question in each of the forums on your list. You're in the England Forum which doesn't appear to be on your list.

For what it's worth, all those countries with the exception of southern Italy will be pretty cold with a high chance of snow which will affect your travel plans.

In celsius terms, it could go as low as 10 below in some places. Some places in France and Italy will be busy with skiers that time of year as well

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe in February

Bear in mind also that the hours of daylight in most of Europe are much shorter than you will be used to in winter - because it's further from the Equator. Expect no more than 0900 -1700 hours in February in the parts of Europe you've quoted, and an hour earlier at each end in the UK. On your tour, you're likely be getting up in the dark and, in Germany,NL,B and most of F you'll be lucky if you avoid a long grey twilight before night falls. In fact, it may well be grey (and cold) all day. A bright, clear winter's day is a delight and we do get them, just not predictably!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe in February

<<As this is in winter, how will the experience be compared to doing this tour in summer? >>

On average, much less pleasant. Colder, wetter and *substantially* fewer daylight hours. I wouldn't do it then even if you gave me a free holiday, its not even as if you did it in say December at least you'd get Christmas markets to brighten things up. Instead, you'll get one or more of dull, gray, wet, damp, dark, bare trees and bushes, little if anything in the way of outdoor living such as dining at a sidewalk cafe in Rome, or moules and frites in Bruges. Wait until you can go in June or September which would be my favourite months.

Cape Town, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe in February

Thanks for all the info. I'll hold off til summer then or go somewhere warmer, like Thialand... But thanks anyway!

6. Re: Europe in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 01, 2011