We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

Hello,

We have five days to spend driving around southern England. Is this plan realistic?

Day 1: We return from Eastern Europe, getting into Gatwick around 5 PM, then pick up a rental car and drive to somewhere near Westerham, checking into an inn or country house for the night

Day 2: See Chartwell in the morning, then drive to Salisbury, see Stonehenge.

Day 3: We are to meet a friend in Wells, spend half a day with her, then go on to the Cotswolds.

Day 4: Oxford, to see family as well as sights.

Day 5: Return to Heathrow to drop off car & fly home.

Chartwell is not negotiable, nor are the family and friends.

Is there any one place where we could spend three nights and have easy access to Salisbury, Cotswolds, Wells, and Oxford as day trips?

Self-catering would be a plus, but is not absolutely mandatory. Being in an interesting, historic, attractive, un-Californian type of town or village would be nice as well. Comments? Brickbats?Thanks.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,683 Reviews
from $122.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,252 Reviews
from $125.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
750 Reviews
from $102.70*
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

Where are you sleeping on Days 2 and 3? Looks do-able.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

Hi there

Why not consider my town of Devizes? It's a very historic old town with a medieval town trail, lots of old buildings, fountains, statues, quirky shops, tea rooms, a museum, a castle ( not viewable to the public I'm afraid), the Kennet & Avon Canal, Wadworth's Brewery Centre and lots more. There are some decent hotels in the town ( Bear Hotel, Castle Hotel) and as a guide, here is an idea of how long/far you are from the places you wish to see....

Salisbury 25 miles/45 minutes

Cotswolds 20 miles/35 minutes

Wells 35 miles/ one hour

Oxford 45 miles/ 80 minutes

Take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devizes

www.devizes.org.uk

www.devizes.co.uk

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

D'oh! I didn't read your post carefully enough. Sorry!

I'd second what Graham says.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

Graham,

Great suggestion, but why are the travel times so long?

80 minutes to go 45 miles?? Is this the Britain that time forgot?? Are there laws against driving at more than 20 miles an hour???

I'm joking, of course, but good grief - those travel times are s - l -o - w.

Kindly enlighten me -

Sylvia

Level Contributor
3,772 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

Britain isnt full of motorways/highway/sprawling 6 lane monsters. Southern England and the places mentioned are very busy, and 80 minutes to go 45 yards is pretty quick for Oxford. Many towns were not designed for cars, so parking etc takes ages, and traffic is very bad. So I would suggest those times arent far wrong, though the Cotswolds is so large an area, you could treble that time depending on where you are going. (Its infuriating that people just say "the Cotswolds", the Cotswolds is such a large its daft to speak of it as single place)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

www.theaa.com is pretty good for getting driving directions and estimates of length of journeys. You won't drive it quicker than they say, but it could take a lot longer than it says!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

Fair enough.

I haven't yet narrowed down my destinations in "the Cotswolds", so that's why I'm not more specific. People talk in the same way of "southern California", which could mean anything from beachfront to desert to farmland to extremely inner city, so I understand your frustration.

I'll do more research on this -

Thanks -

Sylvia

8. Re: Realistic itinerary for 5 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 23, 2010