We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

Has anyone taken this trip, changing trains in Birmingham?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,683 Reviews
from $122.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,252 Reviews
from $125.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
750 Reviews
from $102.70*
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

Thousands of people probably. What do you want to know?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,823 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

Up until a few months ago you could get a direct train, now under the new franchise you HAVE to change at Brum

So not as many people have done it - still a LONG trip though

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

I was just curious. I'll be spending some time in the Lake District before going to France for a wedding, and was looking into ways of getting there without flying or heading back to London to catch the Eurostar.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

"I'll be spending some time in the Lake District before going to France for a wedding, and was looking into ways of getting there without flying"

Eh? Whats Plymouth go to do with that?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

"I'll be spending some time in the Lake District before going to France for a wedding, and was looking into ways of getting there without flying"

Eh? Whats Plymouth go to do with that?

JoeintheUK,

I was thinking of taking Brittany Ferries from Plymouth to Roscoff. Thought it would be a good opportunity for me to see Plymouth and Devon, if I took the train from Oxenholme or Penrith, to Plymouth via Birmingham.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

Scenery wise it's quite a pleasant run, particularly south of Birmingham - mostly of the hills in the distance type (Bredon Hill, the Cotswold escarpment, the Malverns, etc).

Changing in Birmingham can be a bind - they try to (or used to) put connecting cross country trains on opposite sides of the same platform, but it doesn't always work. If the times (and tickets) work out it's a much easier change at Wolverhampton.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

Thank you for your help, Dzug.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
346 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

You can check out the train connections on www.seat61.com a site independant of the rail companies about travel in the UK and europe by train.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

The highlight, scenery wise, is between Exeter and Teignmouth, where, for some distance, the train travels along the sea shore. You are choosing expensive options, though, just for very quick glimpses of land and sea scape.

10. Re: Train from Lake District to Plymouth via Birmingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, September 22, 2009