We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keddy car hire reviews

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
136 reviews
Keddy car hire reviews

We are trying to find a reliable inexpensive car hire company in the UK for a pick up in Walsall and drop off at or near the Exeter Train Station for 11 days. The prices vary dramatically and then I found a website that recommended Keddy by Europcars. Does anyone have any reviews or feedback about this company or any suggestions as far as car hire? Thanks in advance.

75 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
11. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

How was the car hire experience? Was the car comfortable?

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
12. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

Tried booking Keddy car hire "By Europcar" through rentalcars.com for a hire in Italy, stupidly didn't read the T&C's (my fault!) until after the booking when I discovered there was a 100KM a day limit. Immediately did a google search for Keddys website to try and clarify the policy and any extra charges. All I could find was the rentalcars.com information.

Eventually decided to email Europcar as after all its meant to be their budget service. Waited 3 days for a one line reply.

"Kindly, for this information please visit Keddy website"

So I phoned them up and asked for the address, was told they don't have it, but the website is the right place to look. But they don't keep website addresses for third parties (even those which are rebrands of Europcar), so I asked them how they suggested I contact them, the answer again was visit their website.

Eventually phoned rentalcars.com directly who couldn't give me any more information then was already on their website but was told if no fees are specified it most likely means theres no option to purchase additional mileage. So they suggested they rebook me to a different hire company with unlimited mileage, which they managed to do for less then my original booking!

So use Keddy if you want something cheap and don't actually intend to drive the car very far, but good luck with contacting them if you need to!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
136 reviews
13. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

We didn't go through Keddy in the end. Our travel agent managed to find a fantastic rate (even better than rentalcars.com) with Europcar. Then, on the day we left Australia, he rebooked it for us as he managed to get it $200 cheaper again!! Car was good and service was good. Normally I book everything myself except for airfares as we have used the same travel agent now for nearly ten years and he manages to find the right flights at the right prices. Definitely will use him again for car hire.

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
14. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

Avoid Keddy!

I booked a car online but when I went to pick it up I was confronted by a very, very persistent receptionist who tried to make me upgrade and buy the most expensive insurance, quoting a price three times as much as the original price. It was a very unpleasant experience. I am aware of the expression 'Let the buyer beware', but you shouldn't have to put up with these kinds of cowboys at any time, let alone after a long and tiring flight. Disgusting behaviour.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
15. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

Same thing happened to me. Told me it was £19 for the insurance but didn't mention it was £19 a day plus vat. I would avoid them and europcar as a whole

San Sebastian...
2 posts
16. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

I recently booked with Keddie through rentalcars.com. As has been said before here, they are the "low-cost" branch of Europe Car. I booked and picked up the car no problem as I have done with many other companies before, but on returning the car I was charged 200€ as opposed to the 115€ I expected, as I had a maximum mileage of 750 km (150 km/day), and I did over 1000 km. This LIMITED mileage was stated in some obscure. not obvious place in the documentation I was sent on renting the car. Granted it was careless on my part not to read the "small" print, but having rented many cars before, I thought it was just the usual blah-blah. You wouldn't expect a reputable company to make their money trying to deceive their customers. I won't rent with Eurpecar or Keddie ever again.

Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
17. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

I recently booked a car through rentalcars.com at the Keddy office in Plymouth. When we arrived to pick it up we were told that it had been "checked out" by rentalcars.com so was unavailable. They offered to hire us another car which we declined because we had already paid for the car on rentalcars.com. We were told we would have to contact rentalcars.com to get a refund. Four weeks later I finally received an email back from rentalcars.com telling me the agent (Keddy) had advised them we did pick up the car so no refund would be forthcoming!!! Still trying to sort this out now, but very difficult from the other side of the world. I will never use either of these organisations again and will advise others against using them too!

Martina Franca...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
18. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

Europe car say that is a separate unit and the Europcar people at the rental branch seem to know little or nothing about them. I booked through Rentalcars.com and because they receive "live rates" from them are unable to then do anything to the booking you have to deal with the branch you rented from not even Europcar itself.

I wanted to extend for a day but it proved to be impossible to do without first returning the car to Gatwick handing it in and renting another for the extra day completely negating the idea of extending !! There is also a mileage limit of 200 miles per day with a charge of £0.12 an extra mile . No one at Europcar seemed to know this either. Keddy have certainly gone from my list of rental car company options.

19. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, March 07, 2016

Carcassonne
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
20. Re: Keddy car hire reviews

I rented "Keddy" through Car Hire Market for a 14 day hire from and to Liverpool Airport. The 200 miles per day limit included was made very clear. All transactions were dealt with by Europcar, without problem on arrival, and I paid a minimal amount for an upgrade. It went wrong when I needed to extend the hire by 4 days, and drop the car off at Stansted airport, for which I was quoted a further £145 over the phone. As a completely captive customer, I had no choice. However, I have just received the final invoice from Europcar by email, to find that the additional bill was for £177.78, and, included in it is an item "Roadside Assistance" for the whole 18 day period, at £3.33 + VAT, per day. I rent cars in the UK on a very regular basis and have never seen an extra charge for this "service" before. Anyone else been ripped off like this for a service which, in my opinion, is always included in the base rental cost?

Reply to: Keddy car hire reviews
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted