We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

Jerusalem, Israel
5 posts
Save Topic
17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

Next month I'll fly to Manchester and leave from it as well. I'll appreciate any advices and ideas concerning planning an itinerary by days and places. I'd like to pack my trip as full as it possible. I wish to visit Ireland as well (I wanted to place my question in some general european forum in order not to offend anyone, but there is only GB or Ireland separate forums). Is it possible to do ? I consider to hire a car, maybe, in Scotland. In the rest of places I plan to take buses and stay in the most budget places.

I'll be gratefull for any suggestions

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

Your question is just too vague and general.

You should start with a guidebook or two and find what interests you. I'd recommend the Eyewitness Great Britain.

The other thing you could do is look to steal an itinerary from something like a coach tour, to give you a starting point to adapt it.

One other point, you say you plan to take buses, I'm guessing you imagine it's cheaper, but its also very slow and you might think 17 days is a long time but you'll pretty soon be wondering what to leave out. Trains will be generally be a better way if getting between areas. Also practically speaking Ireland will lose you best part of two days of holiday time in going there and back, so your holiday just shrank to 15 days of sightseeing in a heartbeat and you haven't seen anything yet :-)

Ps I note with alarm you are going in a months time. Get on and start planning !

Edited: 4:16 am, August 25, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

Thank You for Your comments ! Can You advice as well what places (cities, sights, etc.) in each country are worth to see ?

According to Your advice, I found detailed itineraries, but it's rather hard to choose :

globaljourneys.com.au/coach_tours/…gl.php

globaljourneys.com.au/coach_tours/…

globaljourneys.com.au/coach_tours/…exukll.php

globaljourneys.com.au/coach_tours/…9011.php

globaljourneys.com.au/coach_tours/…biex.php

globaljourneys.com.au/coach_tours/…bibi.php

Here You can see tours from 12 to 17 days long (in that case, maybe, I have more time to jump to Iceland, for instance ?)

Where and how much time would You offer to stay ?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

"Can You advice as well what places (cities, sights, etc.) in each country are worth to see ?"

Joeintheuk has already given you excellent advice i.e. "You should start with a guidebook or two and find what interests you. I'd recommend the Eyewitness Great Britain." Only you can decide what sights you would really like to see - then it is a matter of feasibility, otherwise you could spend too much time on public transport and not enough time enjoying your "must-sees".

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

Do you want to see cities? Villages? Countryside? castles? Are you interested in walking/hiking/cycling? Are you particularly into architecture? scenery? music? or what? Do you want to stay in hotels? Pubs? B&Bs?

Chester
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

Hi,

while you are making you wish list I would consider renting a car for the duration of your trip because public transport is not cheap once you get away from the cities.

Keith.

Jerusalem, Israel
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

To MartinC : I'm interested to see cities, architecture, palaces, castles, nature. I like walking/hiking. I prefer to stay in the most basic inns/hostels (B&B) - just to sleep and go ahead. I other words, I'd like to see as much as possible.

To Keith E: if I'll rent a car, will it be cheaper than travelling by bus ? For Highlands, for instance, I'll need some 4x4.

Edited: 12:38 am, August 26, 2013
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

you will not need a 4x4 in the Highlands if you are staying on the roads.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

Thank You for Your comments ! Can You advice as well what places (cities, sights, etc.) in each country are worth to see ?

-----

That's the point of the guidebook, that's what it contains, that's why they wrote it ! It's your job to decide which of the several thousand places and sights in there are the ones you'd most like to see in your very short time that you have. You could, as I suggestedn, use the ones from a coach itinerary as a suggestion. If you can't decide which of those appeal to you, how do you expect me or anyone else here to know?

BTW, you should know that if you are doing it yourself rather than on a coach trip, you should reckon on seeing half what can be crammed into a coach based itinerary because they go direct from one place to another and are familiar with routes and timings and places to park, which you won't be, and they have also fitted as much as possible in, so rather than see one or two l,aces at leisure, they will put 4 or 5. That means you only get a glimpse of each.

Perhaps you should just go on a coach trip, because cramming as much in as you can seems to be what you wish to do as far as I can work out.

If you cant decide, pick one at random.

Jerusalem, Israel
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

Thank You, joeintheuk, I'll try to work out according to Your advices. By the way, will it be cheaper to rent a modest car, neither to travel by bus/train ?

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 17 Days tour (excluding days of arrival and leaving)

The cheapest way would probably be coach, but you would really need to be very organised to do that well and really know where you want to go in advance so it may not be for you. Car hire gives you flexibility, allows you to visit a few places in one day. Again train would be fine and cheaper than car if you know where you want to go when and you can book in advance.

Realistically you can't do what you want without a car.