We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Edinburgh to London

Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Train from Edinburgh to London

Hi,

I checked the website for ticket prices from Edinburgh to London, and the cheapest I could find was about 58 pounds. For a train journey between 4 and 5 hours with lots of trains running all day long, this seems quite expensive. Do you know if its cheaper to just buy a ticket at the station or will it not make a difference?

Thanks

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

Train fares bought in advance are almost always cheaper than the walk-up fare, which is the most expensive way to travel.

Check for fares on nationalrail.co.uk - there is a link to find cheapest fares on the day(s) you want to travel.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

£58 will be an "Advance" fare valid on booked train only. They are released at various price quotas and the cheapest quotas sell out first (they start at about £15) They are released *approx* 12 weeks before travel.

You can buy them at the station (in advance, of course) but East Coast give a 10% discount.

If you buy on the day of travel you will pay from £120.40 for a Super Off Peak to £152.00 for Anytime Single depending on the time/day you wish to travel.

London
Level Contributor
12,376 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

I fear your perception of prices for UK long distance train journeys is out of tune. £58 isn't a bad fare for that route.

There is a huge variation in prices for London distance trains in the UK.

If you turn up at the station without pre-booking a single on that route will cost you £121 (or £122 return - valid on most trains) or for £152 (early morning trains).

There are different types of tickets available and it is important that you understand what you are buying. The £58 fare you saw is an "advance" ticket which can be great value but has no flexibility.

Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
4. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

I guess I am comparing it to trains in mainland europe which seem a lot cheaper. Well I will definitely be pre booking if that is the case.

Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
5. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

Just took a look, and you are right, if I book far enough in advance I can get one for 17 pounds.

6. Re: Train from Edinburgh to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 26, 2013