We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
557 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

Seems car rental prices are pretty reasonable at the moment. Does that mean gas prices are higher than normal? We're considering a visit to England & Scotland in September, driving from Heathrow to Glasgow with lots of stops in between. We're planning on 3 weeks, but don't know if the gas prices will blow our budget! Anyone have first-hand knowledge of current price?

Thanks to all for any help!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Some hire cars are diesel which can be five or even up to ten pence a litre extra but you go further on diesel

Just remember in the UK diesel is the black nozzle and petrol is the greeni

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

Prices have in fact come down a little in the last few months or so. How stable they are - pass

And some stations sell LPG (liquified petroleum gas) as well - you are very unlikely to need this in a hire car

London
Level Contributor
9,291 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

You should budget between £10 to £20 per 100 miles driven for fuel.

The real issue is not so much the pump price, but whether the car you are allocated is fuel efficient. I've had about 20 rental cars this year and there is huge variation in what they use - the ones I've had have varied between 30miles to the gallon and 65 to the gallon.

Car size is no longer a guide to fuel efficiency - larger prestige cars now have so much high tech equipment in the engine that they get better economy than cheap cars that don't have the fancy tech. I got much better fuel efficiency from a large Audi estate than I did a tiny Vauxhall Corsa.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

and remember that using the air con adds about 10% to the fuel costs, get used to not using it.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,348 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

Many people will understand, but be careful with the use of the word 'gas' or you might get blank looks, or be directed to somewhere that sells LPG (similar story with 'bathroom' - unlike, apparently, the USA, lavatories in the UK are not usually equipped with baths).

If you get a diesel vehicle (recommended if you are going on a long journey), be careful not to misfuel. It can be repaired if you catch it early enough, but rental companies don't like it.

And judging by current weather, A/C is redundant anyway.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

As GCEK says, misfuelling is very easy to do especially with some brands where the pump signages are similar. It isn't that hire companies (you should get used to using English terms to avoid confusion as others point out) 'don't like' it; it will cost about =$500 for the call out to clear the fuel system and you will lose the contents you just (wrongly) put in. If you've driven a diesel more than a few miles on petrol, it is likely that the fuel injectors are damaged and this will cost at least a thousand pounds. It will be your 'tab'...

IMO fuel costs are the least of your concerns.

To be sure of the fuel for the car you get; ask for the fuel to be written on the hire agreement, but check the rev counter; if it is red lined at c4,000 rpm, it's a diesel.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

A large car will have a fuel tank of approx 70 litres. It depends on what sort of driving you do, and how many detours, but London to Glasgow can easily be done on one tank of fuel, if driving a diesel. Even if you amble all over the place, you shouldn't use more than 2 tanks of fuel, tops. One fill-up of the tank with diesel from empty will cost approx. £80-85. Petrol is a little cheaper but, unless you're hiring a very small car, you will use more of it.

The hire car will come with a sticker on the filler cap telling you if it is a diesel car. I wouldn't bother switching the aircon off, it will make a negligible difference to your consumption, as opposed to driving sensibly, and driving round with the windows open, because the aircon is off, can actually use more fuel then having the aircon on, due to aerodynamic drag.

I wouldn't worry about using the word "bathroom" either - everyone will know what you mean, and most people will use either that term or "toilet" - the word "lavatory" is mostly used by the Hyacinth Buckets of this world (you'll have to google that one) ;-).

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
557 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

Thanks for all the information and suggestions! Would love to get a car with 50+ miles/gallon, so we'll have to inquire about that. Appreciate the helpful suggestions regarding diesel/petrol. (See, I'm already practicing my British words, and I'll be sure not to use "lavatory" so we're not associated with Hyacinth Bucket; that is too funny!) Guess the cost won't be as bad as I had thought, but it just seemed fairly high if we're doing a bit of driving. It will be worth it though to see beautiful England & Scotland!

Appreciate all the help!

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

I have to disagree with PoolLounger about Aircon. My car is diesel, 2.5 years old, always been properly maintained.

Travelling from Norfolk to Devon in May, a cool Sunday and I got 64 mpg. The climate control was set to auto. Returning home a few days later on a much warmer day, I only got 53 mpg. All motorway or trunk roads, and conservative driving.

Now the aircon goes on when and only when it's needed. I don't like open windows, too noisy! More important is to keep fresh air coming in to the vehicle through the heating/cooling system rather than recirculating air inside the car. Recirculating = drowsy after a while!

Edited: 2:09 am, July 18, 2012
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,348 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current gas prices for England & Scotland?

Lavatory is a wonderful word - I always use it, and I encourage my children to do the same :) Granted, whoever wrote Keeping up Appearances must have had my mother in mind ...