We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Motion car rental deception

Gold Coast Au
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Green Motion car rental deception

I recently holidayed in UK for three weeks from Australia. I wanted to hire a car for 15 days and as we were flying int Stansted Airport googled Hertz Stansted on my computer and selected and booked a car on line.The booking went through "car trawler" and when I accepted the terms and conditions " unlimited mileage" realised I had booked a car with Green Motion Car Rentals. ? Did a check on Green Motion and found they were reputable, even rang them in Stansted to confirm and was told sometimes Hertz sub let the hire. O K alls good.

BUT on the morning I went to pick the car up they asked where I was going and I said ,Cornwall,Scotland and back to London. They said : thats a fair way, you will clock up a lot of miles and we normally have a " fair usage policy" ? ? a 1000 mile cap will apply:you will have to pay 15 pence per mile over. I protested and pointed out the terms and conditions stated "unlimited mileage" a short argument took place as to who was right or wrong and they said it must have been a fault of the booking agent that didnt show these terms,we will sort it out at the end.( I have yet to see anything in writing stating this)and as I was not in a position to hire another car somewhere else at short notice I took the car.

The car did 2300 miles and I would be liable to pay for 1300 extra miles,I protested again vigorously, stating they were very misleading and almost amounted to fraud.They said they would reduce it to 800 miles, but would not deduct anything on my credit card until they emailed me first.

While still in UK before we flew home I rang the Green Motion head office and enquired if this practise was correct and they informed me if the on line booking stated "unlimeted mileage" that is what it is.

Since returning to Australia I have checked on at least 5 major car rentals in UK and they all offer unlimeted mileage ( to 200 miles per day) Green Motion Stansted Emailed me to inform me an amount would taken from my credit card.

After several Emails back and forth to Stansted ( who by the way are a franchise of Geen Motion ) and to their head office, no result has been acheived.

It almost amounts to fraud when you accept the terms and conditions for a car hire that clearly states "unlimited mileage" and then be told that is not correct.

Has anybody else been hit with this charge.

Is it because we are visiting tourists and they think they can get away with it.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
1. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

Had a bad experience with Green motion also. Not the same as yours, but showed how they can deceive customers:

We rented for 4 days. On arrival at Green motion all was well and good. We signed our forms and listened to the employee tell us about voluntary excess - no problems here. On inspecting the car we noted the large obvious damage to the car, however when I pointed out small 'scuffs' on the paintwork I was told that they didn't matter: the paint hadn't been removed and no body damage was visible. Believing this was my only mistake.

On returning the car 4 days later a DIFFERENT employee then proceeded to mark those 'scuffs' down as new damage. Not listening to our protests he simply pointed to the voluntary excess, told us we shouldn't have listened to his colleague and went on his way. Only the fact we were about to miss our flight stopped me from setting up camp in his office.

A £70 lesson I learnt so others don't have to - RENTERS BEWARE

Level Contributor
3,859 posts
98 reviews
2. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

Its an interesting, similar to those issues found in phones/internet where increasingly you get unlimited amounts but fair usuage limits. I disagree that "it almost amounts to fraud", that is a very specific and serious criminal offence, and is a term bandied around, and frankly, shouldnt be.

I think it is more a case of being unclear, and probably that you should market the product as either unlimited, or have a limit and charge above. I sympathise, but would suggest for a holiday rental 66 miles a day, every day, is quite reasonable as fair usage, its highly unlikely people would average that every day.

Overall I think its a wider case of poor language usage, which should be corrected, but I personally think the charges you have faced are reasonable enough I'm afraid.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

As far as Aussies go 66 miles a day is nothing. Comparing it to a mobile phone plan is hardly relevant . I can choose to make calls or use internet but my hoiday travel is pretty well locked in. It may be fine for local users staying in one place but for international tourists who spend a lot of time moving round it`s completely inadequate.

Would never hire a limited mileage car anywhere. In UK the distances may be small but there`s a lot to see. Wouldn`t work in Australia or the US either where the distances are not small.

What have Hertz got to say? Sounds like you did everything right..Travelling certainly keeps you on your toes. New traps popping up all the time.

Level Contributor
3,859 posts
98 reviews
4. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

66 may not be far in large empty space, in relation to UK tourist drives, its a long way. In other countries it would be more, in the UK 66 miles a day is an entirely reasonable expection

Its an average, are you seriously saying you will do that EVERY day, highly unlikely, unless you are being daft and just doing tick box tourism and whizzing from place and not actually seeing anything.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

<<in the UK 66 miles a day is an entirely reasonable expection>>

I disagree, its only an hours drive if you are on a motorway (assuming its not the M6 or the M25), or on 30mph roads say a 2 hour drive somewhere, spend the day, 2hrs back, you might think thats extreme but many wouldn't.

In any case, the OPs mistake was to drive away before getting this clarified in writing, its an obvious problem waiting to happen, you could see what would happen once he mentioned it, its like star trek where KIrk, Spock and a guy in a red shirt beam down, you know who will be shot.

Its also an issue for me with Hertz 'subletting' in this way to someone who doesn't have the same Ts&Cs, I use them fairly often and would be very happy if they tried this with me. Hertz is who I woudl go to first in this isntance.

Level Contributor
3,859 posts
98 reviews
6. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

EVERY DAY. Thats the point, you may well drive more than that in a single day, ie London to Bath round trip would be 200 miles near as makes no difference. Yet unless you are whizzing from 1 place to another all day, you will average less than 66 a day.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

Hope you`ll pardon my bluntness but you sound a pretty straightforward person GEJP. It`s our holiday and if we choose to rush around like lunatics that should be our choice. We`ve already spent 20 hours on a plane to get there and the airfares are 1200 pounds upwards.

As far as Green Motion the conditions clearly state unlimited mileage

(maximum 200 miles per day) so I don`t see how they can market a product that has a lower limit.The OP was quite happy with the original conditions but they were changed at the last minute.

www.greenmotion.co.uk/bookingconditions.php#a

Sounds like "fair usage policy" is something to look out for although I couldn`t find it anywhere in the terms or conditions. Must be buried deep. However thanks for the heads up Denver49 will be sure to ask about it in future rentals.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

Ok, on my trip to the UK in 2008, we rented a car for 5 weeks and drove 4000 miles in that time - an average of 114.28 miles per day. My rental agreement for was unlimited miles and unlimited miles is what I expected and received. I certainly don't consider 114-odd miles per day excessive and we certainly weren't rushing from one place to another, seeing multiple 'sights' in a day. When in Scotland, we stayed at Balmaha, Inverness and then Blair Atholl, each for a week . When we were in inverness, we drove north of Golspie, over to Skye, Fort William etc etc (not all on the one day of course) and never thought the distances were excessive. 66 miles?? Heavens, I drive further than that some days just to go shopping.

OP - I'd be challenging this through Hertz, which is the company you have the agreement with. If you rented it through the Australian site, remind them of the penalties that apply under the Trade Practices Act in relation to misleading or deceptive conduct (it's irrelevant whether the conduct was intentionally misleading or deceptive or not).

Edited: 10:30 pm, October 05, 2010
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
98 reviews
9. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

7. If fair usage was in the T&Cs, then you have to, either a) ask what that is in terms of distance, or b)make an assumption. Obviously a) is the most sensible. But if you are estimating, then I would still argue that an expectation of 66 miles every single day, is ample. If the T&Cs didnt mention it, fine, thats a different issue. But if they did, and the OP didnt ask, then I would suggest the company is being more than generous by cutting the bill

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Green Motion car rental deception

The OP states he rented the vehicle through Hertz and the terms and conditions he accepted stated 'unlimited milage'. I fail to see how much clearer than can be. Unlimited is unlimited, not "unlimited but we really only mean 66 miles a day". In any event, if he booked it through the Australian website of Hertz, it's Hertz who have to fix it up, because for him not to get what he agreed to is a blatant breach of our Trade Practices Act and the penalties for breaching that Act are severe. He didn't book directly with Green Motion - he booked through Hertz, so if Green Motion have a problem, they should also penalise Hertz, not the OP.

Edited: 1:46 am, October 06, 2010