We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is an EEA National?

Pietermaritzburg...
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What is an EEA National?

We are booking visas for the UK from South Africa, with my dad holding a British passport. Family members of an EEA national don't have to pay the visa fees.

Is there a difference between a British passport holder and an EEA national?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is an EEA National?

An EEA national is a citizen of an EEA country - effectively the EU (which includes the UK) plus a few more European countries.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is an EEA National?

Back in the 1960's there were two economic unions in Europe, the EEC (aka 'Common Market'), originally consisting of six countries (which General De Gaulle tried to keep as only six!), and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), a looser grouping which consisted of most of the countries of Western Europe who weren't in the EEC. For passport and some other purposes the two groupings together referred to themselves as the European Economic Area. Nearly everyone is in the EU now, but a few countries (eg Norway) remain outside but are still referred to as being in the EEA.

Pietermaritzburg...
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is an EEA National?

Thanks for the info.

I didn't make out from your replies whether a British passport holder qualifies as an EEA national?

My dad lives in South Africa but obtained a British passport through ancestry.

Pietermaritzburg...
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is an EEA National?

Here is the reply from the consulate's handling agency:

"Please note that spouses and dependant family members of EEA nationals can apply for EEA Family permits and that application is free. However, this does not apply to family members of British nationals. Their spouses and dependants have to apply as normal and pay the relevant fees."

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is an EEA National?

<<< I didn't make out from your replies whether a British passport holder qualifies as an EEA national? >>>

Yes. But a British passport holder doesn't need a visa to enter the UK, no more than a SA passport holder need a visa to enter SA

Due to Freedom of movement in the EEA, people who hold a passport issued to an EEA country can travel to any of the others without a visa. Their spouse & young children can get an EEA permit to allow them to do so also. HOWEVER this does not apply to the country where the passport was issued. So your father's family will need visas as will adult children. If your father's passport had been French then they could have entered the UK without visas but would have had to have a visa to enter France

Edited: 8:05 am, May 06, 2010
Pietermaritzburg...
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is an EEA National?

That's very interesting... it doesn't make sense, but I follow the facts of the matter.

I'm also applying for a Schengen visa and I think I've read that my mom will travel for free as long as she has a marriage certificate. My brothers and I are all adults and non-dependent, so the usual pile of paperwork :)

7. Re: What is an EEA National?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, May 06, 2010
8. Re: What is an EEA National?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, May 06, 2010
Pietermaritzburg...
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is an EEA National?

That's very interesting... it doesn't make sense, but I follow the facts of the matter.

I'm also applying for a Schengen visa and I think I've read that my mom will travel for free as long as she has a marriage certificate. My brothers and I are all adults and non-dependent, so the usual pile of paperwork :)

Pietermaritzburg...
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is an EEA National?