We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Beef Jerky/Pralines into the UK

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Beef Jerky/Pralines into the UK

Honest, I searched the archives and didn't find anything on this subject!!

My wife and I are driving around England and Scotland in August and we want to bring some little something of Texas to use as small host/hostess gifts at some of the B&Bs we're staying at, especially if we’re there a few days and like the service/food.

One friend suggested getting some Texas beef jerky as it takes up relatively little space and would be a local item from Texas and (hopefully) a unique host/hostess gift.

I’ll probably avoid any of the 5-alarm hot type, although I recall learning from a "pub crawl” with British cops in the 80's that wound up in a curry house that there are some foods available in the UK that would do El Paso proud when it came to HOT!!!

Or maybe Texas Pralines would be more appropriate?

Any suggestions/guidance?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Beef Jerky/Pralines into the UK

I'm fairly sure you will find that personal import of Beef Jerky is prohibited.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Beef Jerky/Pralines into the UK

Here's a website which tells you exactly what you can and cannot bring into the UK.

dontbringmeback.direct.gov.uk/index.html

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Beef Jerky/Pralines into the UK

This is why I love trip advisor. I ran the program and it turns out that Beef Jerky is not allowed. Guess I'll have to stick with Texas Pecan Pralines.

Thanks guys!!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,926 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Beef Jerky/Pralines into the UK

I think you could do worse than stick to your namesakes.

Many people are too shy to buy haggis, so its worth taking as a gift. And few people will refuse a bottle of scotch.

True - they are not from Texas, but you are!

5. Re: Taking Beef Jerky/Pralines into the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, January 10, 2010