We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or Train from Heathrow to Cardiff

Port Coquitlam...
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Bus or Train from Heathrow to Cardiff

My wife and I are landing in Heathrow on Oct. 9th at 13:50 flying Air Canada from Vancouver, arriving terminal 3. I'm assuming (am I living in a fantasy world?) that the flight will arrive pretty much on time. After the flight lands, how much time should I allow to get our luggage and clear customs? Following this we are heading directly to Cardiff (not what we had originally planned, but now committed). Would we be better off taking the train or the bus? Are the bus and train easily assessable from Heathrow? I believe they are from what I have read, however would like confirmation. My thought was to make reservations on either the train or bus and allow 3 hours after landing to ensure that we make the time. Is this too much, just right or not enough. I'm leaning towards the bus right now,as there is no bus change. If we happened to arrive early for which ever we reserved on, would we be able to take an earlier ride? If we arrive late will our tickets be worthless. I can't seem to find an answer to these questions on the websites. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, it is most appreciated.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Bus or Train from Heathrow to Cardiff

Darryl: It's really hard to predict when your plane will arrive at Heathrow. It might be late leaving Vancouver, and then have to do a few circles before landing, and then you have to taxi before getting to the gate, and depending on how many other planes land at the same time, you could have a short wait at passport control but then wait for luggage.

There is a bus link from Heathrow to Reading, http://www.railair.com/, and from there you can take a train to Cardiff. I'd probably allow 2 hours or so as a cushion if you decide to do that rather than take a bus the entire way. Plus, the bus is probably going to be way slower than the train.

If you do take the train, buy tickets that don't specify a specific train by time. Those tickets will be more expensive, but it's better than having to worry about missing your connection.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Bus or Train from Heathrow to Cardiff

I've never used public transport from Heathrow to Cardiff so cannot vouch for which option is the best. However, my first thought was the 'Heathrow Express' train from the airport to Paddington Railway station in London and then catch the inter-city train from Paddington to Cardiff which does the journey in a little over 2 hours and which during weekdays leaves every 30 minutes. However, I found this useful document on how to get to Cardiff from a number of UK airports doing a Google search which suggests this may be the more expensive way to do the journey.

…cf.ac.uk/wocsdice/…20Transport.pdf

It gives other options though which could be more convenient and cheaper with links to get more info. If you scroll down this pdf document until you got to the section on Heathrow it should give you a head start.

I hope you have a great time visiting Cardiff - if you need any ideas on things to do once you're here get in touch

Jim

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,896 posts
1 review
3. Re: Bus or Train from Heathrow to Cardiff

Easiest would be the National Express coach - if you book a later coach and turn up early you can always ask the driver of the earlier coach if you can travel.

Unless you pay for an expensive ticket you can't do that on the train service. You also can't get a cheap train ticket in advance as they don't send tickets abroad and Heathrow doesn't have a fasticket machine, so you'd have to go to Paddington or Reading THEN collect your tickets.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,578 posts
97 reviews
4. Re: Bus or Train from Heathrow to Cardiff

For future reference it is possibly to fly direct from Vancouver to Cardiff with Zoom airlines. Enjoy your trip.

5. Re: Bus or Train from Heathrow to Cardiff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 07, 2009