We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speeding tickets (via cameras) in the UK as a tourist

Dallas, TX
10 posts
Speeding tickets (via cameras) in the UK as a tourist

Just returned from fabulous family vacation to UK

AVIS rental car agency has notified me that I will be

receiving two traffic citations, presumably speeding

measured by the prolific camera systems found on

a variety of motorways all over the UK.

>>>>>Your counsel, please......should I:

(a) take my medicine and pay the fines

OR

(b) throw myself on the sympathy of the court and write a letter

in an attempt to get the fines reduced or waived

OR

(c) none of the above, some other suggestion you may have?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
35,110 posts
1 review
31. Re: Speeding tickets (via cameras) in the UK as a tourist

<<< How can all of you who live in the UK and drive afford it? >>>

If we are driving locally then we know where most of the problems will occur and so don't speed - fixed speed cameras for example are brightly marked and can be spotted several hundred yards away

If we aren't driving locally then we watch what everyone else is doing and drive accordingly on the assumption that they are the locals who know what they are doing.

However it's rare to be done for speeding (under 80-90mph) on major roads IF ROAD CONDITIONS ARE SUITABLE, but speeding in towns - where you are more likely to hit people - is dealt with more harshly.

Horsham,UK
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
26 reviews
32. Re: Speeding tickets (via cameras) in the UK as a tourist

Trixie, if someone is "pushing", just ignore the pest (I was going to use a different description, but politeness pays). I've had these idiots behind me also, but my opinion is "It's my money and my licence, you don't like it, tough!"

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
33. Re: Speeding tickets (via cameras) in the UK as a tourist

I recently went on a speed awareness course instead of taking the points on my licence and being pushed to speed from behind came up as a topic.

The course was run by 2 driving examiners, and they suggested that you move your rear view mirrors so you cant actually see the car behind. Their view (rightly or wrongly) is that you will spend more time looking at the car behind to make you distracted for what is in front of you as well as the additional speed you are doing

As for 'Texas' what makes you think you have a God given right to get off a speeding fine? I know that usually mobile cameras are a money making machine but fixed ones are there because of the number of accidents in that stretch of road. Had you run over someone or caused an accident causing injury, would you expect you being a tourist to be a valid excuse to that person or their families? Of course not and neither should you.

Just accept the law of the land you were in and pay up

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,696 posts
85 reviews
34. Re: Speeding tickets (via cameras) in the UK as a tourist

There's probably a law against it, but if someone is right up my exhaust, I sometimes just switch my lights on and off. (ie - they think you are braking, but you're not).

They usually keep their distance after that.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
35. Re: Speeding tickets (via cameras) in the UK as a tourist

OR drop down a gear without touching the brakes (that gives them the heebie jeebies) BUT be ready to accelerate so they don't hit you.

As I get older and more patient/resigned/safety conscious, I either go even slower or just pull over and let them pass. I'm finding the latter costs me minimal delay, no hassle, I don't get hyper, and then continue to drive safely with no "pusher" behind.

I do feel strongly about visitors not accepting our laws, whatever they are. I drive often in the States and 20mph is common in towns, half speed limits when school lights flash, stop when school bus stops, etc. I'm a "guest" in the US and wouldn't think about breaking their driving laws (though many are more sensible/safer than ours). I also like the graduated and well marked speed limits up and down. We can leave a Mway on to a dual carriageway and immediately drive into a 30 or 40 limit. BUT don't mention directional signposting in the US!

Of course, we in the UK suffer penalty points for speeding and many other offences. 12 points (4 "minor" offences) and you've lost your licence; that doesn't happen in the States.

BJM
Derby, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
32 reviews
36. Re: Speeding tickets (via cameras) in the UK as a tourist

I was thinking about the endorsements. 2 speeding tickets would be a minimum of 6 points for a UK driving licence - so just lucky that overseas visitors only have fine and not their licence endorsed.

As said by others - pay the fine you unfortunately broke the law!

37. Re: Speeding tickets (via cameras) in the UK as a tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 08, 2009