We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK visa for New Zealander help

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
UK visa for New Zealander help

My boyfriend is from New Zealand and I am British. He has been living in London since april 2017, currently on a tier 5 visa. We have been together for just over a year but haven't lived together.

He is a geotechnical engineer, which I believe is on the shortage of occupation list. His employer wishes to sponser him to stay, after gaining a license to do so.

So the ideal situation is that he gains a tier 2 skilled work visa, however we have been advised that the current market for these visas is very tough and only workers earning about £50k are currently being accepted.

I would like to know what other options we have for remaining in the same country, we would consider marriage. Does anyone know what other options we have?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
2 replies to this topic
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,676 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK visa for New Zealander help

Can I suggest it would be wise for you invest £s in the services of an appropriate and competent immigration lawyer rather than the well intentioned musings of strangers on the internet?

UK
Level Contributor
8,217 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK visa for New Zealander help

There is an easy option - for now. But you would have to get married first, and you would have to act quickly.

As a citizen of a European Union member state you have a right to live anywhere in the EU and take your immediate family with you.

Having lived in another EU member state for a certain amount of time (and that's months rather than years) you then have a right to return to the UK and take your immediate family with you (google Surinder Singh).

So - get married, move to another EU member state, make sure you come back before the end of March next year and you should be able to live in the UK together happily ever after.

Mentioned in this post
European Hotel
European Hotel
723 Reviews
London, UK
Union Tavern
Union Tavern
711 Reviews
London, UK
March
March
Cambridgeshire, UK