We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

Australian Capital...
4 posts
Save Topic
Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

Arriving at Heathrow on 29 May 18 and the Trains for London Website says you cannot buy an Oyster card at the airport. Can you buy a single ticket at the airport and any idea of the cost travelling from Heathrow to London Bridge.

thank you

9 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,008 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

The cash fare is £6.

But... really you can, really, get an Oyster card at any Tube Station and that includes Heathrow. Not sure where you have read that you can’t.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

You should be able to purchase an oyster card at Heathrow underground station.

Use a contactless bank card instead, or pay the single fare.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,905 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

'the Trains for London Website says you cannot buy an Oyster card at the airport. Can you buy a single ticket at the airport and any idea of the cost travelling from Heathrow to London Bridge.'

I don't know what the Trains for London Website is, but as above all three Underground stations at Heathrow sell Oyster and all manner of Transport for London ticket products.

Heathrow to London Bridge involves one change: Piccadilly line from the airport to Green Park station, alight there and ignore the signs in the station. Instead take the escalator up to the ticket hall and another back down to the Jubilee line platforms for a train towards Stratford. Alight at London Bridge station, where there are escalators from the platform to ticket hall and street level.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,817 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

"Trains for London" - could that be "Transport for London"?

Where does it say you can't buy an Oystercard at Heathrow?

London, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

Might the OP be misled by the Visitor Oyster card, which TfL does rather push at overseas visitors? There's no great advantage to it beyond having it before you leave home, and some disadvantage, so you might just as well do as residents do and get an ordinary one at Heathrow.

Australian Capital...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

Thank you all. Glad I can buy an Oyster card at Heathrow. That solves everything. Yes, I thought I had to get a visitor oyster card but can see that is not necessary.

thank you!

Australian Capital...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

Many thanks for your directions and reassurance I can get an Oyster card from the airport.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,090 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

>>> Trains for London Website says you cannot buy an Oyster card at the airport. <<<

I've never heard of that website. Perhaps it's just as well because if they have got that so wrong, I wonder how reliable the rest of their information is.

You should use the official website www.tfl.gov.uk

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,072 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares

I suspect that the OP has looked at the tfl site and read the page about Visitor Oyster cards. It specifically says there that you can't buy one in London but that you can buy them in advance at both Gatwick and Stansted and on Eurostar. Of course it doesn't mention that you can get ordinary Oysters almost anywhere in London, including Heathrow.

Reply to: Train from Heathrow Airport - Fares
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted