We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Hi all! With your help, I have figured out most of my train travel within England. A couple more questions regarding timing of train at Gatwick.

1) Our flight from US arrives at Gatwick on Sept. 6 at 9:25am. We will immediately be traveling to Bath (changing trains in Reading). Train times are 10:03am, 11:03am, etc. After getting our luggage and going through customs, is it pretty safe to say that we would have time to get the 11:03 train? That allows us 1 1/2 hours.

2) Pre-purchase our tickets? I would like to pre-purchase our tickets as I know we will probably be groggy after the flight and it would be one less thing to do. I do understand that there are no refunds, if I pre-book and miss the 11:03 train.

3) Standard or First Class? I've been searching the train website trying to find out the difference. I would assume that he First Class seats are more comfortable, but not sure what else.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

11.03 will probably be OK, but I wouldn't buy a non-refundable advance fare for it!

First class on the train to Reading really isn't worth it and Reading to bath doesn't take very long so I would go standard.

You can prepurchase a flexible ticket, although there is no price advantage in going this.

If you are returning to London from Bath later in your trip then some sort of an off-peak return that 2 single tickets. A quirk of UK ticketing is that returns are often only slightly more than a single.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Having actually looked at ticket prices, advance singles are currently £13 each, so get those for the 11.03 train!

If you miss it then you would have to buy a super off peak single on the day for £56.50 each.

Depending on your tolerance to risk you could buy another £13 ticket for the 12.03 train!

A super off peak return is £57.50.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,008 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

I’d be less sure about the 1103 departure as lots of things need to run smoothly including an online arrival, quick arrival at gate, fast transit of Immigration control and so on, but otherwise railenthusiast’s analysis is spot on. Buy two advance tickets for different times or perhaps just buy for the 1203 and try the coffee in the airport.....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Hanks everyone!! You've been a big help!! We are going to do the advance purchase - standard - for the 12:03 train to Bath! Time permitting.....we will have lunch /coffee in the airport!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

If you are early you might be able to pay a change fee to catch the earlier train, not sure how much.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,377 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

The cost will be the difference in fare between what you paid for the Advance ticket and the cheapest walk up equivalent, plus an admin fee of £10. I had to amend an Advance ticket once and it wasn't cheap. If you have an hour or so to kill, I'd recommend getting a drink and a bite to eat instead, and waiting for the 1203.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Normally there is no issue with a timed ticket between Gatwick and Reading: you can catch any train. The timed bit is Reading - Bath, which should come with a reserved seat as part of the ticket. So get to the first train you can to Reading station and then have a cuppa 7 and a bite.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,377 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

This true and I'd probably prefer to hang around Reading than Gatwick Airport, although there's not much in it, lol!

9. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 19, 2018