We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Hello everyone! We are traveling to England in September. I have a couple of questions...

1). Train travel from Gatwick Airport to Bath. What is the best way to do that?. I heard train to Victoria Station, then to Paddington to catch train to Bath. Is that right?

2) We will be renting a car in Bath. And returning it in Nottingham. Can you recommend a car rental company? Should I use Hertz or Enterprise or is there a good Europe company you can recommend? We will only be traveling in England.

3). We will take a train from Nottingham to London and will stay there a few days. I know I need to do research on train travel but was wondering if you have any tips on how to start.

I was thinking of getting a hotel near Victoria Station so that it will be convenient to take the Gatwick Express train to Gatwick Airport.

Any tips you can give to point me in the right direction is much appreciated!! I don't now why I'm so intimidated about finding the right trains!! At least we know NOT to drive in London! Lol!

Thanks!

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
66 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Hi Collins!!!

We spent New Year in LA and had a blast!!! Great city and fantastic people, we will be back soon.

Copied and pasted your enquiry below so to better answer your enquiries, what size is your group:

Hello everyone! We are traveling to England in September. I have a couple of questions...

1). Train travel from Gatwick Airport to Bath. What is the best way to do that?. I heard train to Victoria Station, then to Paddington to catch train to Bath. Is that right?

---Yep, Gatwick Express to Victoria (about 18 pounds per person one way), Underground to Paddington and then mainline out to Bath

2) We will be renting a car in Bath. And returning it in Nottingham. Can you recommend a car rental company? Should I use Hertz or Enterprise or is there a good Europe company you can recommend? We will only be traveling in England.

---When Im back in UK I use Enterprise for their "pick up and drop off" package, pick up in Bath and drop off in Nottingham

3). We will take a train from Nottingham to London and will stay there a few days. I know I need to do research on train travel but was wondering if you have any tips on how to start.

---Try googling - Nottingham to London trains - threw up a load of options and not sure ofyour timings and budget couldnt advise more

I was thinking of getting a hotel near Victoria Station so that it will be convenient to take the Gatwick Express train to Gatwick Airport.

----As I said on an earlier thread, a London Black Cab from London - your area -to Gatwick is around 50 - 80 pounds which includes baggage, so dependant on the size of your group maybe this will compete with the cost of the Gatwick express??

Any tips you can give to point me in the right direction is much appreciated!! I don't now why I'm so intimidated about finding the right trains!! At least we know NOT to drive in London! Lol!

Enjoy the trip!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,884 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

'Train travel from Gatwick Airport to Bath. What is the best way to do that?. I heard train to Victoria Station, then to Paddington to catch train to Bath. Is that right?' No, it may not be 'right' at all. There may be no need to travel to Victoria and certainly no need to take the GEX. The Underground journey from Victoria to Paddington on the Circle line is a slow process involving stairs at two busy stations, and you may prefer to avoid both of them.

To that end, please let us know the date and time of day your flight arrives at Gatwick. These details matter in determining how best to travel to Bath.

'We will be renting a car in Bath.' You won't need a car in Bath, where it will be a hindrance rather than a benefit. If you'd like to avoid the three and a half hour rail journey from Bath to Nottingham then you could hire a car for that journey, but taking the train is certainly a worthy idea. Again, this depends on the date you plan to travel.

'We will take a train from Nottingham to London and will stay there a few days. I know I need to do research on train travel but was wondering if you have any tips on how to start.' The information website is www.nationalrail.co.uk but when you book trains then do so with the train operting companies rather than through any third party booking sites, as the latter charge fees and may not give the complete range of fares.

If you plan to travel with just one other person you may find value in this: www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk You'll have to buy it at Gatwick airport rail station before your first trip, but that will take a few minutes. You may book rail tickets *with Railcard* to obtain the reduced fares, but if you do so then you must ensure you buy the card before you board the first train.

'I was thinking of getting a hotel near Victoria Station so that it will be convenient to take the Gatwick Express train to Gatwick Airport.' Why? The GEX is far from the only train that makes its way to Gatwick, and I think there are far more interesting areas of London than Victoria; see below.

'a London Black Cab from London - your area -to Gatwick is around 50 - 80 pounds which includes baggage, so dependant on the size of your group maybe this will compete with the cost of the Gatwick express??' This is just wrong. A black cab from central London to Gatwick would cost more than £80, and the road journey is dire. There are much cheaper and more sensible ways to travel.

Again without the details of the dates you plan to travel and the time of your flight departure from Gatwick we can't suggest hotels that may suit, so please let us know more, including your budget in pounds only.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

From Gatwick take a train to Reading and pick up the train to Bath from there. No need to go into London. You can also take the train from Bath to Nottingham via Bristol. Nationalrail.co.uk.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Best way from Gatwick to Bath is to avoid London and change in Reading. One ticket from Gatwick to Bath, trains usually hourly.

For all train enquiries start with nationalrail.co.uk

Trains to Gatwick go from Victoria (not only Gatwick Express), plus St Pancras, City, Blackfriars and London Bridge.

A taxi to Gatwick is nearly always much slower and more expensive than the train, apart from in the middle of the night.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,120 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

There is no need at all to go into London on your way to Bath, as has been pointed out. Go direct to Reading instead. I have travelled both routes, and I much prefer Reading as it avoids the hassle of crossing London. At worst it is only a few minutes faster than going ont he train to Reading, normally it is a bit slower.

Chris G is probably in a very small minority in recommending a cab to or from LGW. Almost everyone else here will advise against it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Sorry everyone - I should have included more information on our plans. It will be my husband and myself. Two week road trip around England - following Rick Steve's book Best of England itinerary.

Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath.

Bath - 2 days (pick up rental car)

Cotswold - 2 days

Stratford-upon-Avon - 1 day

Liverpool - 1 day

Lake District - 2 days

York - 2 days

Nottingham - 1 day (return rental car

Train to London for 4 days

What do you think of this itinerary? I know it's pretty full.

I've figured out the hotels in most of the locations. I've been using Tripadvisor for hotel recommendations and things to do. Any info on things to do would be,most appreciated!

I did book a Owl Encounter with Walks with Hawks in the Cotswolds. I would like to book a Beatles tour in Liverpool. And perhaps a ghost tour in York.

We were thinking of staying near Victoria Station in London for convenience to Gatwick. Also saw that some of the tourist sites like Buckingham Palace were close.

I welcome any help or comments you can tell me regarding our itinerary, things to do, special restaurants, etc. Also ideas for London hotel too. Our budget is GBP200 or lower per night.

Thanks! Carol

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,918 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

London Hotels: also think about stopping near St Pancras as that is also "good for Gatwick", remember London has a really good transit system so as long as you are Near the centre as in within or adjacent to the Circle Line - the Yellow underground route - you'll be fine. Have a look at www.premierinn.com or www.travelodge.co.uk These are chains with lots of locations, premier inn will in general be slightly more expensive but will be slightly better, both decent value for money whilst not full service/luxurious.

I counsel caution on the road trip, Mr Steves always seems inclined to race you round. So an example "Stratford 1 Day, Liverpool 1 day. " when do you actually fit in the 3 or possibly 4 hours drive between the two, lose 1/2 the day in Stratford to be in Liverpool for the next day, or have a full day in Stratford and get to Liverpool for lunch. You may think well we'll leave each place at 5pm and sleep at the next place, looks like a recipe for exhaustion. Looks too much driving and not enough visiting, but his itineraries seem to do that?

Edited: 1:50 am, April 28, 2017
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Agree with PMQ, you should rewrite your schedule and include travel times between the destinations. The amount of time you've alloted to Liverpool seems low, and you won't be doing or seeing much there once travel time to/from is factored in.

Direct trains from Nottingham to London are operated by www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk . Other indirect providers are available. You can get some really good fares on the direct provider if you book early and commit to a specific train. Those 'Advance' tickets usually go on sale about 10 weeks before the travel date.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,107 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Have a look at some of the reviews on this forum re the RS guide books/routes.

And do as others have suggested and build in time for packing, checking out, travelling, checking in, unpacking etc.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,120 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Gatwick Airport to Bath

Rick Steves is not well thought of at all on these forums. Hopefully you're starting to realise why by now! The 'Best of England' itinerary looks horrendous to most of us in the UK!