We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

This is very last minute! My husband and I will be visiting a friend who has a house in Eastham, MA for a couple of days. We are leaving from Atlantic City, NJ very early tomorrow morning. I google mapped the trip, and it is approx. 6 1/2 hours via garden state parkway, I-95, GW Bridge, etc. Is that a good route to take? Any other suggestions? We are planning on leaving at 4:30am. Will we beat rush hour in NY and CT?

Also, we will be there before our friends. Any suggestions on anything very local to do for a couple of hours in or near Eastham before they get there?

Any suggestions will be a great help! Answer quickly! Thanks!

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
665 Reviews
from $94.50*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
136 Reviews
from $57.00*
$60.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
48 Reviews
from $61.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,254 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

I can't help with driving directions but for something to do, check out the Cape Cod National Seashore Visitors' Center in Eastham and if the tide is not too high, follow the walking trail behind the building. It goes around the salt pond and into woods.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

At least 6 1/2 hours, probably an hour more. If you leave at 4:30 you should get over the GW and past NYC before things get too messy. I assume that you will take I-95 all the way to Providence and then I-195.

The Visitor's Center is a great way to spend some time.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

Have a drink at truro vineyards

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

I think you will hit CT rush hour, but it shouldn't be too bad. Another option from Jersey is to cut across 287N & then get on I95 in NY. You'd cross over the Tapan Z instead of GWB. Depending on the weather, you could head up to the Beachcomber in Wellfleet & enjoy a nice lunch. They have a great raw bar. It's not far from Eastham & on the beach. Enjoy your trip, CC is awesome! Very different from the Jersey shore.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,779 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

You'll see the big sign for the National Seashore Visitor's Center on your right and I second the suggestions to spend your time there. If you are looking for a meal then head to nearby Arnolds. If there is a line don't despair. The line moves quickly. Have you been to the Cape before? Totally different from AC. Have fun.

Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

Someone else mentioned taking the Tappan Zee Bridge also. Do you know if it's out of the way? Because the maps don't suggest it as a route.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,823 posts
689 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

It takes you further north, but you miss the NYC and Bronx traffic that the GWB and I-95 will give you. Add "Tarrytown" as a stop en route from AC to Eastham and you'll get that route option on Google Maps.

8. Re: Travel from the Jersey Shore to Eastham, MASS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 29, 2017