We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we crazy?

Michigan
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Are we crazy?

We have never been to the Atlantic side of the country and are thinking of a Thurs-Sunday get-a-way. We would fly in and drive around Cape Cod, Boston, Bar Harbor areas to check it out.

I was thinking about about doing the Cape area on Thursday as it may not be as busy. Then drive up to Bar Harbor during the weekend.

Am I setting myself up for stress? Will the traffic and crowds be crazy?

We mostly like seeing the area and small towns. Little shopping and out of the way pubs/restaurants

Thanks for any comments/advice!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we crazy?

Yes, that is way too much for the timeframe. Spend the days on the Cape only, plenty to see & do.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we crazy?

Maybe not crazy, but really ambitious. Cape Cod is 15 towns and 413 square miles. You really would not see much in one day of driving but you could drive out to Wellfleet and see the Atlantic from the Marconi Beach Overlook Area.

Not sure of your plan. Would you stay overnight on the Cape or just drive out and back.

When would you do this?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we crazy?

Completely agree with mcostafish - way too much to attempt to do. Does your Thursday-Sunday timeframe include travel days too? Get a taste of the Cape and spend some time in Boston on either your arrival or departure day.....or split your time evenly between the two sites. Bar Harbor is a beautiful spot - save that for another trip when you have more time.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,784 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we crazy?

Dear Traveler,

Please select ONE of these areas for your four days or you will be spending most of your time driving and trying to find a place to park.

Perhaps you could make a trip over to Barnes and Noble this afternoon. In the travel section look for easy to use guide books, The Explorer's Guide series. I know that, in addition to their Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket book by Kim Grant they also have one on Maine. Peruse through these and you'll see just how much there is to see and do.

Sorry, but I think your current plan will just set you up for frustration and disappointment.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,262 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we crazy?

Too much given that Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings heading to these destinations will have heavy traffic and returning on Sunday from either place will be the same.

Choose Cape Cod or Maine. As others have said, trying to do both is way too much in a short time.

Happy Planning.

Michigan
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we crazy?

Thank you, friends!

I figured as much lol... i appreciate the advise.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
169 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are we crazy?

Yes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are we crazy?

I would also get a roadmap so you can really know the driving distances. From Boston it is really over 4 hours driving to get to Acadia/ Bar Harbor. I agree with the others -- pick either the Cape/Boston, or just go straight to Bar Harbor. Either one is a good choice. Less driving with Boston and Cape Cod, though.

new england
Level Contributor
433 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are we crazy?

If you bike and hike, go to Acadia. If you like sand and surf, go to the Cape. One or the other; not both.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,784 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are we crazy?

Just a little amendment: Sand, surf, bike and hike on Cape Cod.