We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Fishing Locations

South Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
Best Fishing Locations

Hi all! Heading to Provincetown tomorrow for 2 weeks and was wondering if there are any avid fishermen who could give me some pointers as to best locations to fish. I have 2 boys; 10 and 12 that are quite the fishing gurus. We have been fishing off of Race Point and Herring Cove (the designated fishing areas) every summer and are looking for some new spots. We don't mind venturing as we will have a car. Thinking Truro, Eastham, etc. They're not picky what they fish for...as long as they're catching. Catch and release is fine with them...unless the fish are of legal size and edible.

Also, I know Nelson's Bait & Tackle is now closed...I believe the closest bait shops are in Truro? Any specific recommendations?

Thank you!!!

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
675 Reviews
from $94.50*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
138 Reviews
from $57.00*
$60.00
Fall on Cape Cod: Day Trip from...
96 Reviews
from $76.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,470 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Best Fishing Locations

The Cape Cod times publishes a fishing report every day. We are there in late August every year and the "best" spots vary.

Are you surf casting or fishing from a boat?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Best Fishing Locations

My husband is an avid fisherman. His favorite spot is off Harding's Beach in Chatham. He caught lots of stripers there 2 weeks ago.

South Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Best Fishing Locations

Thanks so much for the tip, mcostafish!!! We will definitely venture that way! Plus, who doesn't love Chatham?!!

We don't have a boat so they'll be casting from the beach or pond, etc. We don't mind hiking to get to difficult spots.

Thank you for your responses!! :)

South Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Best Fishing Locations

Can you tell me what he was using?

Thank you!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Best Fishing Locations

Very hard to catch fish in august without a boat. Race Pt. is as good as anywhere.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Best Fishing Locations

My husband says he used sand eel pencil popper with spinning gear. Think I got that right...lol.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Best Fishing Locations

Evidently Rock Harbor in Eastham...boy catches great white shark. Photo then cut him free.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Best Fishing Locations

But the shark was off the harbor and the boy was in a boat.

There are stripers in town cove in Eastham and Orleans. You might try one of the town landings in those towns.

Edited: 7:18 am, July 13, 2016
South Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
9. Re: Best Fishing Locations

Thanks so much for all your responses!!! :)

10. Re: Best Fishing Locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 16, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod