We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod in September

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod in September

Hi, My husband and I have both recently retired and are planning another road trip in the USA, we have already driven round Florida, Oregon, New England, California and the Southern States but would like to visit Cape Cod - we are concerned that this area would be really expensive in July/August but unsure if a fall visit is still viable - we are both retired so we need to be financially aware!

We are thinking that we would fly into JFK from the UK, spend 3 nights in Manhattan, catch a train to New Haven where we would pick up the hire car - husband doesn't fancy driving in NYC! We would spend about 10 nights exploring Connecticut, Rhode Island and the Cape Cod area before returning the car, getting back to NYC and flying back to the UK. Does this seem like a good plan in mid September? Would we struggle to find hotel rooms around the $100 $120 per night mark? Would there still be restaurants open or would they have closed for the winter? What places of interest should we make sure we visit? Sorry if this is a long post but we do like to make sure we get the most out of our vacations! Thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
659 Reviews
from $94.50*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card, with Access To...
136 Reviews
from $57.00*
$60.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
48 Reviews
from $61.00*
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod in September

Prices all over Cape Cod drop right after Labor Day, which is Monday, September 5 this year. Just about everything will still be open during September although some restaurants (especially the smaller "clam shack" type of places) do begin to close later in the month or go to being only open on weekends). Some businesses cut back on their hours toward the end of the month.

Depending upon what type of place you want to stay at you should be able to find accommodations at a reasonable rate.

Not sure what you like to do but you might want to visit the National Seashore Visitor Center in Eastham and some of the ocean and bay beaches. Provincetown is always interesting with its many art galleries, restaurants and unusual shops. You could take a tour of the dunes with Art's Dune Tours and visit the Provincetown Museum and Pilgrim Monument.

http://ptownchamber.com/

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod in September

For the Cape I suggest that you increase your accommodation budget to $200 per night so that you can get something pleasant.

The official end of the season is Labor Day and for 2016 that is on Monday, Sept. 5. After that rates do subside a bit for the beachfront motels and by a lot for summer rentals. Ones in our mid-Cape beach village neighborhood drop below $1000 per week and, for just the two of you why not rent just a two-bedroom for about $800 for the week? There's plenty to do and see on the Cape for a week, you won't be bored. Weather is lovely in Sept. though you do have the shorter daylight.

As to your flights, if you must visit NYC you can fly to Hyannis from JFK (depending on when JetBlue concludes their seasonal service) and pick up a cheap rental car from Enterprise, Budget etc. Enterprise does not charge for a second driver if it is your spouse. If the Cape is your last stop, as your list suggests, then definitely fly home from BOS instead of returning to NYC with a car. Alternately fly back from Martha's Vineyard, where you will not need a car, (the last two nights perhaps) to JFK. Try to keep the transportation simple, it's your vacation after all.

Oh, also, look up at the top of this page and you'll see two search boxes. You can input 'Cape Cod' or a specific town then 'Things to Do' or Accommodations including, on the left, 'vacation rentals, B&Bs etc.

All will have visitor reviews.

Once you have some specific questions we can give you some specific answers. Otherwise it's a bit like you fielding a question such as 'what shall we visit in England' you see.

if your local library or library loan system or local bookstore have a good travel section then there is one outstanding guide book for the Cape. While the accommodations section is quite skimpy compared to all the options it does a very good job outline all the natural attractions and a good deal of the commercial ones.

An Explorer's Guide: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket by Kim Grant.

Enjoy your visit.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod in September

I think $100-120 is unrealistic. Prices really never go that low except at laces you wouldn't want to stay. Check some of the hotel search engines.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod in September

I was curious too about the price of lodging. I checked the Even'tide Motel in Wellfleet and found only their 2015 rates. But for the OP's dates they were $109-134. It's a good mid-range motel in a nice area, set back from the road with an indoor pool.

September is a lovely time to visit the Cape. Probably one of the best times.

York
Level Contributor
545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod in September

I agree with Cambridge . $100-$120 is only going to get you a dive . Even the Comfort Inn in Hyannis is more. Most restaurants are open til Columbus Day or Thanksgiving. Visitor traffic was strong thru Nov. last year due to warm weather. Try $150 to $180 for your nightly budget.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod in September

I would never recommend a "dive" to travelers.

Bevbru: you might get some other ideas on this current thread: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18549…

In addition to the Even'tide in Wellfleet, take a look at the Outer Reach Resort in North Truro. It's sort of a funky 50s style place. My dentist (who I suspect has a larger budget than most) loves it. And read the reviews here on TA for all suggestions.

CapeCodCharlies recommendation of finding a house or cottage to rent is another good suggestion. Look at www.weneedavacation.com

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod in September

Thanks to everybody who has replied so quickly to me. I realise now that my suggested nightly room rate was unrealistic so it looks like we will need to be raiding the kids inheritance fund!! We are really pleased that hotels and restaurants will still be operating and that September seems to be a good time to visit, Thanks again

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod in September

In mid Sept, you can get rooms at The Chatham Motel for $125-$150. It's simple, clean & the owners are very nice. Great location too!

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
476 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod in September

We've stayed in the Eastham and Orleans areas right after Labor Day for many years and find it's a great place to stay and it's easy to visit the National Seashore as well as Cape Cod Bay, and to go north to Wellfleet, Truro, and Provincetown, south to Chatham, and west to Brewster and beyond. If you're anything like us, we spend very little time in our motel room because we're out from sun-up to sundown, exploring and enjoying the Cape. As long as it's clean and fairly quiet, we don't feel the need to spend a lot of money on our accommodations to enjoy all the Cape has to offer.

We've stayed in The Eagle Wing Inn in Eastham a few times and see that for a stay for one night with 2 double beds and senior rate, it's $143.25/night. Here's their website: http://eaglewingmotel.com/ This motel gets high ratings on TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41…

We also Stayed at The Cove Motel in Orleans a number of times years ago and here's their website with rates: http://www.thecoveorleans.com/Rate_3.html and TA reviews here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41…

And in 2015, we enjoyed 8 nights in an economically priced 2 bedroom cottage at Ridgewood Motel and Cottages, just south of Orleans: http://www.ridgewoodmotel.com/ Here are TA reviews: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41… You can check their inexpensive rates for post-Labor Day: http://www.ridgewoodmotel.com/#rates

Early September will always be our favorite time on the Cape and I hope you have a wonderful time during your stay, too!

Edited: 2:53 pm, May 26, 2016
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Cod in September

I have never stayed at either the Cove or Eagle's Wing, but I am familiar with both and know people who have stayed there and recommended it. Good locations and nice, decent places.