We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking about driving from Manhattan to Cape Cod for a week with 2 small kids, perhaps rent a house by the beach.

Would the water be too cold for the kids at that time of year? I'd also welcome any suggestions on areas to stay in and things to do with young kids?

Thanks for your time

Lillian

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
660 Reviews
from $94.50*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card, with Access To...
136 Reviews
from $57.00*
$60.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
48 Reviews
from $61.00*
Central...
Level Contributor
208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

The water will be cold, but most young children will not be swimming, but will be wading and playing in the sand. I've been to Maine over Memorial Day with toddlers , where I was gobsmacked by the cold water , and they were oblivious and happy.

The warmest water will be in Buzzards Bay (Falmouth); the coldest along the Atlantic (Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro). We love the bay beaches (Dennis), especially Mayflower. Bring shovels, buckets, and find some tide pools.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,754 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

As Anne has said, Old Silver Beach will have the warmest water. There you can stay at Seacrest Resort (on the Cape the word 'resort' is used perhaps more liberally than it should be) directly on the beach in North Falmouth.

The Cape Cod Bay beaches are wonderful for kids to play on the tidal flats. Two accommodations that are also ON the beach are Ocean Vista directly at Mayflower beach in Dennis. Down the Bay a bit in Brewster is Linger Longer by the Sea, again directly on a Bay beach.

You may find more availability however and a variety of accommodation types (houses and suites with kitchenettes) www.corsaircrossrip.com located ON a lovely Nantucket Sound beach at Dennis Port.

Your kids may be a bit young for a lot of activities but do pick up a copy of www.kidsonthecape.com, a free publication that comes out monthly. If you stay in Dennis Port check out things like story time at the Dennis Port library among all the other obvious options. If you locate in Falmouth then head to the Children's Museum in Mashpee if you get a cool or rainy day.

P.S. Check out the free Cape League baseball games for evening fun.

Edited: 10:12 am, May 06, 2016
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,754 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

Forgot to say that, of all the accommodations up and down the same lovely strand in Dennis Port on Chase Ave I thought about CorsairCrossrip because they have houses too but also because whether you rent a house or a suite in one of the two motel style buildings you will have access to all three pools and one is an indoor pool where iffy weather will not spoil your fun.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
694 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

Cape Cod sea temperature averages 65F in June. Cold!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

I used to visit the last two weeks of June. The water temperature at Marconi Beach in Wellfleet (ocean side) was always right about 57. Still many people were in the water. The bay beaches will be warmer.

York
Level Contributor
545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

Try Pilgrim Village in Chatham . You can swim in whites pond (waterfront with sandy beach) where it will be warmer ( 70s) . Ocean beaches are a mile or two away. Oyster pond and Stage harbor water is in the low 70s .

Edited: 7:25 pm, May 06, 2016
York
Level Contributor
545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

BTW , bring a loaf or two of stale bread the ducks love a snack !

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

Daskippah, please don't recommend feeding the ducks. Bread isn't good for them, and feeding them isn't good for the species.

massaudubon.org/learn/…don-t-feed-the-ducks

https:/…dont-feed-waterfowl

York
Level Contributor
545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

These are domesticated ducks .

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape cod vacation, last wk in June with a 2 and 3 yr old!

Domesticated? Please explain. Are they pets? In any event bread is not good food for waterfowl.