We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

Flint, Michigan
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

Hi everyone! We are planning a multiple family trip for summer 2017 (yes, I'm a planner!). There will be 13 of us total with kids ranging 6-14. We have never been to Cape Cod, and location is important to me. I'd like to be on the ocean with the beach outside our window, and after hours of research I've learned that hards to find at a good price. It's more expensive than Maui! Anyway, I'm still confused over locations/towns to look at. And are some beaches better than others? We found one in East Sandwhich. Would love any advice! Thanks!

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
660 Reviews
from $94.50*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card, with Access To...
136 Reviews
from $57.00*
$60.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
48 Reviews
from $61.00*
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

You can narrow it down a bit by excluding all the ocean beaches from Nauset in Orleans up to Provincetown. Virtually no building on the beaches there. Same really along the Bay beaches, although there are some houses/cottages dotted here and there.

Your best bet for somewhere on the beach is along Nantucket Sound in the Mid Cape area.

Did you want to rent or are you looking at resorts?

Of course if you can compromise and settle for somewhere back off the beach then you can stay just about anywhere.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

If you are looking for a large house near a beach, Falmouth often has a lot of those type properties.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

The Red Jacket Resort in S. Yarmouth is right on the beach.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

The Cape is divided into 3 areas: Upper Cape (closest to the bridge) Mid-Cape & Lower/Outer Cape - towns closest to the very end. As Senior noted above - there are not a lot of places on the beaches on the Lower/Outer Cape, tho there are some. We love this end of the Cape, towns have the stunning beaches of the National Seashore & quiet bayside beaches with gorgeous sunsets. Orleans & Wellfleet would be nice choices for a big family reunion.

East Sandwich would not be my first choice for a rental as the beach there tends to be rocky. Falmouth is great - lots to see & do in addition to the beach. Check out weneedavacation.com - it is for Cape Cod & the Islands rentals only and you can narrow your search by area or town, number of bedrooms, closeness to water, wifi, etc. (read carefully, though, as there are many freshwater lakes on the Cape & if that is not your preference you'd want to avoid those) If you find something that looks interesting, post it here & folks will give you feedback.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
96 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

Hi Cathy,

Please check out towns already suggested to you for places to stay. It’ll be no surprise that I’ll suggest that you check out the house rentals in Dennis Port, on the beach at the Corsair and Cross Rip. Their website has a new drone/aerial video and it gives a great view of their facilities and the area. When we’ve had more than a dozen family and friends with us, some shared our same house and others stayed in one of the two hotels. I am not sure on the occupancy limits and fire safety codes for the houses. To me if they’d move in an extra bed, you could make it work for all 13, but you’d need to discuss it with them. Or, possibly 2 houses for your 2 families.

I like hearing that you’re a planner. Doing research will allow you to see details and maps, find the right place for you and see what will be of interest to all in your group.

Dates of when you’re coming makes a difference on rental prices and what you will want to see and do. TripAdvisor gives so much info. Take a look at the forum top questions on the right hand column of this page and read some topic posts to get info. Your suggestion of an E Sandwich beach sounds great and we all have our favorites.

Search affordable-cape-cod-vacations website if you haven’t already. Hope we can help you.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

If you want affordable may want to consider December. Otherwise, consider being off beach. Nowhere are you too far. Corporation beach is great area with many large and probably expensive houses.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

I'm partial to Chatham. If you could travel in mid-end June, you could probably save money. Many rentals will have a shoulder season rate for this time.

York
Level Contributor
545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

There are two three bedroom houses in Chatham that are 100 yards from Ridgevale beach , that have a single owner . They're a good option for your gaggle . Each sleeps six but I'm sure that an extra is no trouble . They rent for about 2500 each per week in season. You'll find them by googling VR connection and check out # 3333 and #3332.

York
Level Contributor
545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

Btw they are next door to each other.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,751 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to stay for large families - best beaches/towns?

Mid-Cape Dennis is known to be very family friendly with lots of activities, 16 beautiful beaches, reasonably priced accommodations (for the Cape that is) and plenty of casual, good restaurants that welcome children as well as excellent upscale options for adults to sample both in the village of Dennis and also in Dennis Port.

One of those beautiful beaches is Mayflower which has one group of accommodations having one to four bedroom units right ON that gorgeous bay beach. http://www.oceanvista.net/rooms.shtml When you talk with Ocean Vista, if they can't accommodate you then be sure to ask them to suggest something else. I found my first rental, which we loved, in this manner.

Could you state your preferred budget, the arrival date and how many bedrooms you are looking for with your family? That will surely be helpful to provide useful suggestions.