We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is May early for a vacation on the Cape?

MA
2 posts
Save Topic
Is May early for a vacation on the Cape?

I was wondering what the weather would be like towards the end of May on the cape? I'm worried that it may still be to cool for anyone to enjoy themselves.

I am graduating the last week in May and wanted to plan a trip to the cape. I would like to rent a house because most of my family is from out of state so I wanted to make a mini vacation out of it.

So do you think it is worth renting a house the last weekend in May? Or will it still be to cool?

Thanks for the advice.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is May early for a vacation on the Cape?

I visited Cape Cod for 3 days last year in the latter part of May and the weather was fine. For two days it was sunny and warm (we were walking around in T-shirts), the third day was cloudy, misty, but not cold. I guess you can be very sure about the weather if staying in areas near the ocean.

Boston
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is May early for a vacation on the Cape?

The cape is pretty in May, but it will be too cold to swim.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is May early for a vacation on the Cape?

The Cape is breathtaking in May. Water is too cold but the atmosphere is heavenly. The Cape will not be packed with wall to wall people. You will love it! Enjoy and remember-the Cape is addicting! You will be back. That is a promise.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is May early for a vacation on the Cape?

The outer cape (Eastham-Provincetown) is fabulous in May with the marshes turning green and wildflowers blooming. If you love nature, then stay on the outer cape with the beautiful National Seashore beaches like Coast Guard Beach, and walking trails like Fort Hill. The ocean is too cold to swim in in May but you can rent a kayak and explore the lovely marshes and lakes.

MA
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is May early for a vacation on the Cape?

I go to the Cape every May and love it. Rarely you can swim in the bay - only for the bravest - usually too cold. The sun is out and warm, the crowds are there yet and neither is the traffic. A bit of a warning - the last week of May might include Memorial Day weekend - which could mean crowds and traffic!! So consider where you'll stay and what is within walking distance to meet your needs.

Good Luck, Enjoy