We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The cape or Long Island NY?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
The cape or Long Island NY?

Need advice please. Planning to return to US and we had a great break for two weeks on the cape a few yrs ago. Was considering Long Island NY. I know by posting on this forum it may not be too objective! I'm looking for laid back, Beachy, meals, walks and views. Been to both areas in the past but would really appreciate some pointers from you. Many thanks in anticipation. We would be staying in a rental.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

Think I'll follow my gut and return to the Cape. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

I live on Long Island and will be in the Cape for Vacation this summer and its the best of both worlds. Long Island is great for daytrips and the beaches are beautiful but with two weeks, I would vote for the Cape as there will be more to explore.

Since you have been to both and enjoyed them, why not do both?--the drive to the Cape is quick (especially if you go on the right day) and you can also take the ferry from Long Island to CT. which is nice and cuts out a chink of traffic.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

We will have spent a week in NYC and like to get to destination, unpack and stay. Not keen on two centre. Thanks for idea, may change and take your advice.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
651 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

Come to Cape Cod. It's much nicer than Long Island. Besides, Long Island is much too close to Yankee Stadium and the New York Yankees baseball team. I shudder at the very thought.

When are you travelling? Are you thinking of coming to the Cape in July/August? Outside of July/August, we're into off-peak season and there is a marked difference in things to do and crowds and traffic. If you're getting into October/November, the Cape will be a much different place than the height of summer.

Labor Day (the first Monday in September) is the unofficial end to summer. Some places will close Labor Day weekend (mostly the fried-clam joints and ice-cream stands) and the kids will be back to school and we will all breathe a little sigh of relaxation from the crowds.

If you post a general idea of when you want to come, we can offer more specific ideas.

Cheers, Harry

P.S. Posting on the Cape Cod Forum asking if you should go to Long Island? "Not too objective" would sum it up quite well.

15. Re: The cape or Long Island NY?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 13, 2015