We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for alternative to Provincetown

Sanford, Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for alternative to Provincetown

I have been looking for accomodations in Provincetown for July 6-8 for 2 couples.

I am finding either 3+ minimum nights or outrageous prices.

We would like to visit the "upper cape" and are wondering what other "walkable" towns you would recommend, where we could find either 2 rooms in a B&B or 2 hotel rooms or a house / apt / condo with 2 bedrooms, at a reasonable price. Maximum budget is no more than $250 per night (or $500 per night for a 2 bedroom). Of course, less would be fine too!

We do not require beachfront, although a water view would be nice. We would like a town with "character", things to do like browsing art galleries and shopping, and good (not necessarily fancy) restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

PTFLynn

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

Do you mean the Lower Cape? Because that is where Provincetown is. If so, take a look at Orleans. Walkable town, lots of restaurants, shopping etc. You could also try Chatham, Harwichport, Wellfleet. If you do mean the Upper Cape then Falmouth is worth a look.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

Wellfleet would be a great choice. It calls itself "the art gallery town" and has several galleries and other shops and restaurants all in a walkable downtown that is off the main road. It has a working harbor and waterfront restaurants.

However, in July you will probably find the minimum night stay a problem.

http://www.wellfleetchamber.com/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

You could consider staying on rye 6a in near by Truro and either biking to Ptown or taking the,shuttle bus which runs regularly all summer.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

Your dates coincide with the July 4th weekend, one of the busiest Cape weeks. Have you considered renting a cottage for a week with the other couple? You might find this a cost effective alternative if you can extend your vacation.

Sanford, Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

I am clearly a newbie when it comes to Cape Cod. Seems I should have said we wanted to visit the "lower or outer cape". Wellfleet and Truro seems like possible options. I did find a place with nightly rentals in Truro. Is it walkable? Is there anything to do there, or is it just convenient to Ptown? Thanks.

PTFLynn

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

Truro is the most rural town on the Cape! Many people consider it to be the "old Cape Cod" because of it ruralness and sand dunes. The northern part of town (North Truro) is almost a suburb of Provincetown along Route 6A (known as the Shore Route) as it follows the Bay. There are many motels and cottages colonies but really nothing much to walk to. You can bike into Provincetown. If you have Google Maps you can follow 6A and see what the area is like.

http://www.trurochamberofcommerce.com/

Edited: 11:02 am, May 05, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

Good luck with the minimum night requirements. I have suggested airbnb as an option and get yelled at but it is an option. The company is legit but do suggest that you carefully vet any potential landlord. I'll let others worry about the legalities of the rental (licenses, etc). Just giving an option. That is a hard time to find short term reasonable rentals.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,774 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

Don't get discouraged as you are looking for a Sunday through Tuesday and NOT the July 4th weekend. If you want to be right IN Provincetown then pursue that. I think you'll find what you are looking for. Contact the Ptown visitors center for ideas. Once you make a call, if the motel, B&B or other cannot accommodate you then be sure to ask if they can recommend something more appropriate for your dates and budget. This is the way I found just what I wanted for my first visit to the Cape. This may be time consuming but, especially with the tight knit community of Ptown, it should yield the results you want as long as you request a referral.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

Well, july 6th is the Sunday of the 4th of July weekend. Rentals will have switched on Saturday, July 5th. The 6th (Sunday) comes right after the 4th (Friday) and 5th (Saturday).

Try calling the Chamber of Commerce in Ptown. They might help. It might be possible that renting for a week from Saturday july 5th through the 12th, even if you don't stay the entire week, will be more cost effective than a hotel room with minimum night stays but I am just supposing.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,774 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for alternative to Provincetown

Of course Ptown is different but I'm basing my thoughts in part on the booking trends that I can see with mid-Cape cottages, even ones booked the whole season have that July 5 week open. Fortunately we are not in that group as we have a two week repeater at that time but, indeed, most are open starting Sat. July 5. Plus those in hotels and B&Bs will, imho, be more apt to add Thursday if they take an extra night vs Sunday night.

Edited: 4:23 pm, May 06, 2014