We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

Hello all! I have been reading through these forums and have a handful of saved posts with great ideas. I just wanted to keep adding to my ideabook for things to do for our family vacation this summer, and would welcome any additional suggestions, because I have not been to the Cape since I was very young, and my memory is fuzzy.

We've rented a house right on the beach in East Sandwich, so I anticipate much of our time will be hopefully well occupied there. I'm anticipating we might go to the Heritage Museum and Children's Museum. Perhaps a trip to Woods Hole aquarium, though I think that's a little far out from us, no?

Any nearby beaches you consider must sees? Any fun suggestions for a toddler in the nearby Upper Cape environs? I know there is a great local fish market in Sandwich. Any other great places to pick up some food that I should keep in mind? We want to make good use of our rental's kitchen and also just have lots of packed picnic meals at the ready!

Thank you so much!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

Woods hole is worth the ride. The canal is always a good take and there was always a nice fish market there when I visited. The locals are friendly and will give you plenty of help. Maybe take in one of the lakes one day. Wakeby lake used to be very nice, I hope it still is.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

http://www.joeslobstermart.com/ In addition to Joe's there is the Market Basket grocery store that is the very first exit as you come off the Sagamore bridge. You can find prepared foods as well as staples there at the lowest priced on the Cape. Most every restaurant offers take out too so your options are practically limitless.

The aquarium is a great idea as is the Children's Museum. It even has a petting area for little hands. If you go try to arrive when they are feeding the seals. Free but adults must each have a driver's license of other photo ID..

CT
Level Contributor
209 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

Make sure the beach isn't full of rocks :/

We stayed at a place on the beach in Sandwich and it was so rocky we couldn't even lay out or walk around without shoes.

Our 1.5yr old at that time enjoyed feeding the fish at the Sandwich fish hatchery

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

Oh dear, I hope we are rock free! Pictures and reviews indicate yes, so my fingers are crossed.

Thanks for the tips all, I will keep this filed away for us. :) I had Joe's Lobster Mart saved already from a super helpful post from a few years back, thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,700 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

Sandy neck beach.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
664 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

If you're thinking of Joe's Lobster Mart as the great local fish market that you mentioned, read this and then you decide. The future of Joe's Lobster Mart is in doubt. (I went there once years ago for fresh fish and have never been back. Personally, if I walk into a fish market and smell fish, I turn right around and walk out.)

capenews.net/sandwich/joes_lobster_mart_owne…

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

Ewwwww. However the article did not address allegations of harvesting oysters in contaminated waters that I noticed Harry....my biggest concern. The stolen oysters were the plump, delicious beauties from East Dennis that we enjoy at the Oyster Co in Dennisport during their 'oyster happy hour' available each evening. After 41 years in business it is disappointing to read the article you posted. Thx.

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

Oh dear...good to know. I guess I'll be planning for alternative locations for fish, then!

CT
Level Contributor
209 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

Totally off topic but why are fish markets that smell like fish bad?!

I have never been in one that didn't smell, I assumed it's suppose to smell.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think that fish market at the Chatham Fish Pier smells..,

10. Re: East Sandwich with a 21 month old in August:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 07, 2015