We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

Been looking at various options trying to compare price plus time on island for each but not sure how much time I need e.g trad ferry from Hyannis only allows about 4.5 hrs at time of visit (ie early Oct) and although woods hole would be shorter journey I would need more time to travel there and park. Does 4.5 hours give me time to see much and how easy is it to get about once there. I'm assuming I go to oaks bluff rather than vineyard haven ?. Would welcome any advice as this is my first trip to the cape.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

How much time do you need to visit Glasgow? MV is larger. 4 hours is a taste at best.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

Take the Island Queen from Falmouth Harbor. They have parking there and it goes to Oak (singular) Bluffs (plural). You can walk around and see the gingerbread house and have lunch and then return.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

I would expect overall you would have more time to visit Martha's Vineyard if you drove to Falmouth/Woods Hole and took a ferry from there. From Yarmouth I would plan 45 minutes to an hour drive time. Taking a quick look at the schedule to/from Woods Hole, it looks like the last return from Martha's Vineyard is 9:30 p.m. That would make for a pretty full day.

In October, there's a chance you'd be able to park at the Steamship Authority lot in Woods Hole, but if not I would expect you'd park at the "Palmer Avenue" lot which would be a reasonable alternative. The shuttle bus is about a five-minute ride from there to the terminal and they keep those buses moving so I wouldn't expect a very long wait for the next one to roll in. Check the Steamship Authority's schedule for your dates; they close the Oak Bluffs Terminal on October 14. (October 13 is Columbus Day, a national holiday. After that, we roll up the sidewalks and hunker down for our long winter nap.) You could still get to Vineyard Haven and take the Martha's Vineyard Regional Transit Bus to get around. Hop-on, hop-off, one low price for all day.

The Island Queen might work for you, but they also close for the season October 14 this year. They have a very limited schedule in the fall, look closely at that. The biggest problem with the Island Queen is that if you miss the boat or they're sold out, the next trip is at least 90 minutes away or that could have been the last trip until tomorrow. The Steamship Authority has a much more extensive schedule than the Island Queen to begin with so you have much more flexibility. (When you look at any of the schedules for October, make note that October 13/14 will be a schedule change for just about everything.) The Steamship Authority is also a few bucks cheaper than the Island Queen. Overall, I would recommend the Steamship Authority from Woods Hole over the Island Queen and for a day trip from Yarmouth I wood recommend Woods Hole over Hyannis.

If you took the Steamship Authority from Woods Hole, you would also have a chance to visit the village of Woods Hole. It's a fifteen minute walk to the end of Water Street, but it's very scenic and well worth the visit. The ivy-covered brick buildings of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute and The Marine Biological Labs against the background of Great Harbor make for a very enjoyable stroll. When you get to the Fisheries Aquarium you can watch the harbor seals in the outdoor tank, they're curious little buggers who want to see who you are as much as you do with them. Halfway along Water Street you could stop in to the Captain Kidd Restaurant for a pint and a light snack (or an excellent fresh-seafood dinner). Women love Howlingbird Studio, you might just find a Cape Cod souvenir to bring home with you.

Whatever you do, beware of the taxis on MV. They charge PER PERSON not per trip. If the driver says it's ten dollars for the ride, they will collect ten dollars EACH but only tell you that part at the end of the ride. (I wouldn't want to see the YouTube video of the parsimonious Scot getting surprised with that one!) MVRTA is the only way to go.

A couple of attractions I always recommend for Martha's Vineyard visitors are the Gingerbread Cottages at the Methodist Camp Meeting Association and the Flying Horses Carousel, both in Oak Bluffs. (The Camp Meeting Association is always there but the Flying Horses Carousel that calls it quits after Columbus Day.)

Cheers, Harry

http://islandqueen.com/

https://www.steamshipauthority.com/

vineyardtransit.com/pages/vta_schedule/dates

mvpreservation.org/p.php/…

http://www.mvcma.org/

http://www.thecaptainkidd.com/PhotoGallery

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

Thanks for advice everyone. Looks like woods hole is my best option as although it's further away will give me much more time on island as we are arriving late on 4th oct we will probably do trip on mon 6th and island queen has limited schedule as does slow ferry from Hyannis. Would get longer with fast ferry from Hyannis but much more expensive. Will have a look at hop on hop off once there, is this better than an organised trip.? As steam ship do both oak bluffs and vineyard haven could I arrive and leave from different place.

Will be picking up car and driving from Boston to Yarmouth on Sunday 5th and would welcome any suggestions

Of what to see on route as won't get in to hotel until 4pm.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

The Steamship Authority ticket to Martha's Vineyard is good to or from either Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs.

If you're saying that check-in time at your hotel is 4:00 p.m., I would think the hotel would at least let you leave your luggage there before that time. There's plenty to do in and around Yarmouth. Perhaps you should head right to the hotel and ask them for ideas when you get there if you need to kill a few hours.

For an "organized trip"/sightseeing tour on MV, I would check the MV forum. October is off-season and options will be limited. When you're on the Vineyard Transit bus, perhaps you will get a chatty driver who will point things out to you if you ask them to.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

Thanks everyone for your help. I went from woods hole and used the bus to get to oak bluffs, edgartown and vineyard haven and managed to fit in gingerbread houses although flying carousel was closed as it only seems to open at weekend in Oct, historic buildings and lighthouse in Edgartown . It was a really sunny day and this made it all the more enjoyable. Oak bluffs was my favourite.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

Glad to hear you had a nice trip!

One question, were you able to park at the ferry terminal in Woods Hole or did you have to park at one of the off-site lots and take the shuttle bus to the ferry?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

Signs said no parking at woodshole so headed to Palmer avenue and got parked there no problem.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

HighSeasHarry - is the lot at Woods Hole ever available for parking? I remember years ago parking there but have never gotten closer than Palmer Avenue for the last 10 years at least.

10. Re: Day visit to Martha's Vineyard from Yarmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 11, 2015