We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area for relaxing family vacation?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
132 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Best area for relaxing family vacation?

We are a family of 5. Kids ages 10,14 and 16. Never have been to Cape Cod but always wanted to see it along with the East Coast. We are so excited as we will be visiting the last week of july - beginning of August. I understand all of the towns have pros and cons but can't figure out what area would be best for us. I have found a couple of great weekly rentals for a good price in both Chattham and Dennisport. Do any of you think that one would be a better fit for us than the other? We are just looking to relax and spend time with the kids. They are growing up so darn fast! We love spending time at the beach and the kids love to swim. Laid back is good for us as we feel like we are always on the go. I am sure that wherever we end up will be great but was hoping to hear what some of you veterans may think. We are in WA state so this is big trip for the Farkle family! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. We sure appreciate the help.

conn
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

Chatham is a little more upscale, has a great walkable downtown and good restaurants. Lighthouse beach is unique ,open water, though no huge waves. There are also several bay (protected) beaches in town. National seashore beaches are about 1/2 hour away, this is where you can find bigger waves and gorgeous beaches. I'm not that familiar with Dennisport, with the exception of what I see when driving though on RT 28 to go mini golfing closer to Hyannis. It looks nice, with plenty of places to eat.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

Your identical family makeup has stayed in both towns and every other town with fabulous results. I think the only solution I'd to find what seems best to you and as you drive around, you may find other areas you want to try out you may just fall on love with first choice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

Either would be good. I think Chatham is a little more laid back.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

Can't go wrong with either!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
371 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

We like Chatham (actually live there during the summer) because of the waterways. We have a boat and go fishing, clamming, seal watching (the amount of seals is amazing!) and out to South Beach.

Even if you don't have a boat, we think the location is great. There are kettle ponds, a great downtown, Sound (Ridgevale Beach rents sailboats and catamarans) and Atlantic beaches. You are also close to Nauset Beach, Nickerson State Park for SUP, and Mayflower Beach (get there early!)

You'll have a great time - my kids are similar ages. We head over to Cape Escape Mini Golf in Orleans at night.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

I would go with South Yarmouth. Our family is similar in ages and it's where we stay..its mid cape so easy for day trips wherever you want to go with great beaches, great restaurants and fun for all ages.

You wiLl love the Cape! Good luck and enjoy!

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
501 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

I'm biased towards Chatham since that's where my place is but it has advantages over Dennisport in that it's a bit closer to Lower Cape and thus more central located...S Yarmouth is ok but a bit too commercial for me...just avoid Rt 28 from S Yarmouth to Hyannis! It's one of the most congested roads during summer!

And last week July/first Aug tend to be THE most desired wks for my places so can be lots of people here.

Also don't miss the Friday night Chatham Band concerts! They are GREAT family fun!

Edited: 12:54 am, March 31, 2014
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

Are you definitely limiting yourself to those two towns? I think that Wellfleet deserves consideration. Wellfleet has a vibrant, walkable business area with interesting shops, art galleries, and restaurants. It is off the main road so traffic is less. The harbor area has more places to eat and a beach that is great for kids. Marconi Beach on the Atlantic is part of the National Seashore. There are several places to hike and has a great summer theater. This is the sort of town that people think about when they speak of as "old Cape Cod." The downtown is missing the sprawl and clutter of towns on Route 28. It is probably the most complete town on the Cape.

http://www.wellfleetchamber.com/

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

Don't look at these answers as confusing the issue but more of an affirmation that it will be difficult to choose badly. Everyone has their favorites and we are not the Farkles.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
132 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area for relaxing family vacation?

You guys are great! Thank you all so much for taking the time to give some very helpful advice. Now this is why I get myself into trouble! I have NO doubt we are going to have a ball now matter where we choose. I decided to go the vacation rental route just because it will save us money with the amount we will pay and we can eat some of our meals in. Most of the vacation rentals require a week long lease so that is why. I am sure we will get out and about to explore but I am just trying to find a place that is laid back and has some nice beaches nearby. We really aren't picky just excited to take the trip. This has always been on the bucket list so we are sure looking forward to it!

I will take another look at the towns mentioned but I can see where everyone has their favorites for so many good reasons. Just looking to find ours! You guys are so kind to help us out. I really appreciate it!

Thank You!