We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
520 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

my family will be spending a week in West Yarmouth at the beginning of June. my daughter will have just turned one.

any ideas what to do for a week with a toddler that young?

looks like the zooquarium closed.

we will have our car with us.

im hoping the weather will be nice so we can explore the beach.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

Pretty much the same stuff you do at home, just add water!! There are parks, you could bike with a tandem, listen to music on the various town greens, watch seals at Chatham.

My recollection of what we did while on vacation with a toddler was drink heavily!!!

Edited: 4:33 pm, February 14, 2014
Norfolk...
Level Contributor
117 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

Depending on how much driving you want to do, Woods Hole in Falmouth has a small aquarium and there is a children's museum in Mashpee. Local playgrounds are always good with the little ones and don't forget the public libraries- they often have story times or other activities and many have small play areas. The various Audobon sanctuaries often have programs or you can simply go for a walk. The bike paths are good for biking (with a trailer) or even walking with a stroller. Kids on the Cape, the website or magazine, is a good resource for various activities. Enjoy.

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
520 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

thank you for the ideas!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

Also, check out capecodkidz.com

Edited: 8:11 am, February 15, 2014
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

http://www.kidsonthecape.com/

Here is a publication that is updated monthly, that is free and available in the lobbies of restaurants, hotels, chamber of commerce and so forth.

The suggestion to visit the Children's Museum in Mashpee and the small aquarium in Woods Hole are both excellent if you are going to make a trip to the Upper Cape. The aquarium has a petting area and you might try to time your visit to seal feeding time. The admission is free but each adult must have a driver's license with them. Parking is tough in Woods Hole but it will be easier in June. If you want to add in one more thing you could rent bikes in Falmouth and ride the Shining Sea Bike path into Woods Hole and back. It is an easy ride on a good flat surface. Try to drive the Falmouth coast and you can visit Nobska Lighthouse.

Be sure to read the Top Ten Questions here on the right and especially Free Things to do on the Cape and Rainy Day Activities.

If you are going to 'explore' the beaches then you will want to go to Dennis, the next town over. At South Village Beach there are tons of bigger kids on the east side of the beach playing in Swan River where it meets Nantucket Sound. At low tide there are sand bars too. For a simple lunch nearby drive (you could walk) to The Lighthouse Inn which sits between South Village beach and West Dennis beach and have a simple lunch out on their deck. One of the adults could take a spin on their jet skis too. Another beach is West Dennis. I call this the 'drive-in' beach because you park right next to the sand which might be good if you are toting chairs, blankets, toys, a windbreak and/or an umbrella. It is less crowded the farther out you drive toward Bass River, the dividing line between Dennis and Yarmouth. Then there's fresh water Scargo Lake with two lake beaches. On the Bay side there are many beaches to try. Check for low tide and try to be there around then for the best experience. Unless there are strong winds all of these beaches will have calm waters for your little one. If you are not going to stay at one beach all day then keep your parking lot receipt to show at the next beach you visit on the same day.

Central...
Level Contributor
194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

Toddler plus bucket and shovel on beach equals peace and quiet.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

I just want to add that your 1 yr old just wants to be with you. It makes zero sense to strap the kid in a car for an hour to go to a museum or play area. So unless you are going to WH anyway,i would not drive there from west Yarmouth to do something the kid will never remember.

CT
Level Contributor
209 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

Bonkerz Party Zond in West Yarmouth might be worth a try especially a rainy day.

We starting going to the Cape yearly now and at 1yrs old,our son just hung out at the beach everyday w us.There really is no activity directed to that age (believe me I checked into it for months).

Even looking at the seals didn't hold his attention.Just do what the adults want to do.

Our son is 3 now and we are staying in South Yarmouth this July.This will be the first year we can do lots of fun kid activities!

CT
Level Contributor
209 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

Bonkerz Party Zone in West Yarmouth might be worth a try especially a rainy day.

We started going to the Cape yearly now and at 1yrs old,our son just hung out at the beach everyday w us.There really is no activity directed to that age (believe me I checked into it for months).

Even looking at the seals didn't hold his attention.Just do what the adults want to do.

Our son is 3 now and we are staying in South Yarmouth this July.This will be the first year we can do lots of fun kid activities!

10. Re: Cape Cod for a week with a young toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 26, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod