We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit

Fort Madison, Iowa
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First visit

My husband and I are looking to visit the Cape in September for our 10th wedding anniversary. We have 2 little ones under the age of age 3 and are just looking for a relaxing romantic getaway. We have a love affair with really great cuisine and relaxation... Did I mention that? Tips on what town to stay in, what hotel to call home (4 or 3 star maybe?) And what delicious places to eat. We are not necessarily looking for the normal tourist destinations.

Central...
Level Contributor
192 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit

Some excellent French cuisine, at L'Alouette in Harwich, Pain d'Avignon in Hyannis, and PB Boulangerie in Wellfleet. I'm not sure there is much of a kids' menu, though. Not typically touristy at any of them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit

Congratulations! I'm coming on to 10 years myself!

I cannot say that Cape Cod is a great food destination. But that is not to discourage you. There are always some good places, and lots of so-so places. Even the so-so places may be enjoyable if they are in good locations, perhaps on the water or with a nice view. But the Cape food cannot hold a candle to the good food in a town like Boston.

I'm not sure what you have in mind for time, but if you fly in and out of Boston, maybe you can stay a day or two there, and put together a list of the better restaurants (by better I don't mean price necessarily -- that's a whole different discussion).

But still, do come because it's very beautiful, relaxing (except a bit of the traffic) and a really marvelous part of the country. I'm not clear on whether you are bring the two little ones.

Edited: 6:47 pm, January 08, 2014
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,524 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit

I don't know how sophisticated are the tastes of your kids but there's an overwhelming number of top restaurants on the Cape that are highly Zagat rated. Just check (and subscribe?) to their website.

One of our favorites is on the water in Dennisport and that is The Ocean House. The variety will be good enough for the kids and every dish is a surprise, so creative.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit

I agree with Maxie that the cape isn't the place I think of when I think of good eats. But, that being said, the beaches are fabulous and you'll definitely get lots of relaxation. I'd suggest the Red Jacket Resort in South Yarmouth as a place to stay. It's right on the beach and you're situated mid cape. That way you can make trips to other towns pretty easily. A great restaurant is Bistrot de Soleil in Hyannis, http://www.bistrotdesoleil.com. They do a 3 course price fix menu with a glass of wine for around $20, along with a bunch of other stuff. You really can't beat that kind of deal and the food is good.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit

The Red Pheasant Inn in Dennis serves up some of the most delicious and memorable meals we've ever had, and the ambience is equal to the cuisine.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit

Are you bringing the kids? If not a great place to eat would be Chillingsworth in Brewster & a great place to stay is the Fort Hill B&B in Eastham. If you are bringing the kids, I would to stay would be Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster

Fort Madison, Iowa
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit

My apologies!! We will NOT be bringing the children along with us! I realize that I stated that in a VERY confusing way. It will be just my husband and I on this trip. Thank you so much to all of you that have responded so kindly and fast! My hubby and I are so excited for our ADULT trip! LOL

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit

Well then definitely plan dinner at Chillingsworth, it is fabulous!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit

The Cape has fabulous seafood. Nothing like an order of Wellfleet oysters and a cocktail after a great day at the beach. Try Mac's Shack in Wellfleet.

We really enjoyed Abba Restaurant in Orleans last summer. A bit different from the usual Cape fare.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit

There's a wonderful little restaurant in South Chatham near Forest Beach Road called Pisces. If it's still open when you visit in September, go there.