We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

temperature

Which Cape Cod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
58 reviews
temperature

Hi, I am leaving for Cape Cod next Monday. What is the weather like over there? Is Nantucket and Martha's vineyard a bit colder? thanks Lori

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
151 reviews
1. Re: temperature

Check weather.com for an updated forecast. The islands may be a degree or two cooler.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: temperature

of course I did that

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
15,703 posts
1 review
3. Re: temperature

Then you know what we know.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: temperature

I am looking for helpful friendly advice from someone who is visiting Cape Cod or lives there. The forecast is never correct here. I am packing - The weather has changed a lot this week. The forecast in NS may say 25 degrees but it doesn't reach that until late in the afternoon. The wind is cold and now it is not beach weather. The mornings and nights are very cold and I have to now wear sweaters at night and long pants/jacket to run. One week ago it was hot and humid now its freezing. I am very excited to visit Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha's vineyard and we are staying at a hotel right on the beach. Its just a simple question.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
20,749 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: temperature

I am on the outer Cape. Today was overcast, and mid 70s. Tthe wind is howling and there is high surf on the Bay side. Yesterday was sunny in the 70s, and seas calm enough to kayak on the Bay side. It will all change by next week. We cannot predict next week's weather better than the professionals with their satellite info and computer models.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,404 posts
6. Re: temperature

I'm in Boston not Cape Cod this week and the nights are cool but it warms up during the day. No one can predict the weather seven days in advance, especially near the ocean. Just keep checking the weather channel. Bring clothes for the 50s F at night at for the 70s F during the day. Layers are the key.

It really isn't a simple question. Cape weather is changeable and can vary greatly between the ocean and the bay side.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: temperature

I live here. The weather can be warm and humid at this time of year, or crisp and cool. There is no way to tell. Our guests have been alternately using the AC and pulling out the comforters at night. I wear long pants and a sweater in the morning and change into T shirt and shorts in the afternoon. Tonight we went out for ice cream and a sweater was just right. Two nights ago it was only 57 degrees and I needed socks and a jacket.

So you see, we are not being snarky. Dress in layers and bring something to protect you if it is rainy or very windy.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
189 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: temperature

I would bring a pair of jeans, a summer weight pair of pants and a pair of shorts. Two short sleeve shirts and two long sleeve shirts. A sweater, a fleece and a windbreaker. Sandals, sneakers and a pair of socks. Make sure that everything is color coordinated. Bring woolite, a clothesline that can be secured across a bathtub and clothespins. The worst that can happen is that you have to wash items in a sink. Throw in an umbrella in case it is raining and humid.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
493 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: temperature

yellowbird is correct -- trying to know what it's like a week from now is not really possible here on Cape -- heck, even knowing what it'll do tomorrow can be a challenge! I've gone from having windows closed due to coolness at nite and having doors open and fan on during day in last week...so plane for variety as others have said.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,412 posts
1 review
10. Re: temperature

We will be there next week too. We take some of everything. Weather is weather, no way of telling. You can get your legs sandblasted one morning, calm a few hours later. Hot days, cool evenings, cold enough for a blanket some nights. You may even get a hurricane if you are really unlucky, although it's unlikely. We've experienced hurricanes, or the effects of one, several times on the Cape in September.

But mostly you can expect some lovely sunny days. Just take some warm clothes as well as your shorts.

Edited: 11:39 pm, August 26, 2013