We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

We are driving from Stockbridge MA on 9th October ( hopefully an early start ) and plan to stay 9 and 10 oct on cape cod. On the 11th we have to drive down to newport RI to meet friends by mid afternoon. So, really limited time, but sadly no choice about that. We are not into shopping or 'attractions', we like wildlife, beaches, harbours, seafood, all of which cape cod seems to have in rich abundance. So, any suggestions for where to stay, to get the best feel for the cape. I suspect given our age, bucket list and being from the UK we might not make it back to cape cod again. I would like to maybe stay in a harbour town, and thought about Chatham? or west yarmouth? Is west yarmouth a harbour town?

However, we would also like to see the national seashore. Would be it feasible to stay mid cape for one night (suggestions) and then up to Ptown for 10th. I guess that would give us a long drive to Newport on the 11th though? So maybe two nights in one place and a drive up to pTown? Or do we just miss that out? Sorry, but completely paralysed about where to stay. If anyone has suggestions for this conundrum I would be really grateful. Also any suggestions for lodging - not luxury, more $$ and by the water would be icing on the cake. Thanks folks

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,009 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

Chatham is nice with many interesting shops and restaurants. West Yarmouth is on Route 28 which is a very busy road.

I would recommend staying in Wellfleet. It has a walkable downtown area where you can walk from several inns to shops, art galleries, restaurants and the harbor. It is one of the few towns which I believe still has the "Old Cape Cod" charm and atmosphere. Also, it is off of the main road (Route 6) so traffic is less.

It is closer to the National Seashore than over towns in the mid-Cape area.

Provincetown is also well worth a visit with its many different shops and great choice of dining and inns. Both Wellfleet and Provincetown have a working harbor.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

For your interests I think Chatham sounds like a good idea. It definitely won't be beach weather. Well, I guess I shouldn't say that as I think it was last year or two years ago when it was like 80 degrees in late October. But, that's very rare. Anyway, you should definitely take a trip to P town. It's a lot of fun. Hopefully you'll see some seals in Chatham. They like to hang out there.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

Thanks,mounds like Chatham over Yarmouth. I have seen a wonderful sounding inn near to Brewster - quiet by the marshes with a distant ocean view. Would this be a reasonable location for that time of year (mid oct) and also good for getting up and down the cape? Ta

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

I would choose Brewster over Chatham for what you want. No harbour but closer to National Seashore beaches than Chatham. I might be inclined to skip the drive to Provincetown. You could drive as far as Wellfleet, it is a pretty little town with a harbour, stopping off at some of the ocean beaches on the way. Perhaps take a look at the Bay beaches on the way back to Brewster. Skaket in Orleans is worth seeing especially when the tide is out.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,766 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

Everybody has their favorite towns and activities, and you have gotten tons of good advice.

Personally speaking, I would make a dune tour with Art's a priority. It will show you a part of Cape Cod tht is only accessible by permitted vehicle or lots of walking in sand. And to do that Dune Tour, you need to make your way to Provincetown.

http://artsdunetours.com/

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

Not quite what i expect from tripadvisor

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

What do you mean?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

Exactly what were you expecting from Trip Advisor?

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

Looks like very sound advice, thanks.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,365 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just 2 nights 9/10th October help

Um... what was the issue that prompted your prior post? Cape Cod is large and varied, so there is no single best place to stay.

If your issue was with forgot's recommendation of Art's dune tours, that was not spam. It's a legit recommendation from a very active forum member.