We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers with toddler in tow!

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers with toddler in tow!

We are planning a 3 night weekend stay in cape cod on the 4th July weekend. This is our first time in that area. Which town is recommended. Here are some things I am looking for

- walkable access to beach from hotel/motel

- walkable to dining places

- family friendly beach with toddler friendly water level

- possible whale watching boat trip

- beat the traffic location because I hear that traffic on 6 can get crazy on long weekends.

Edited: 11:17 am, June 17, 2013
Provincetown Whale Watch
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Capeshores Charters
Fishing Charters & Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers with toddler in tow!

I think what will be a problem will be finding a place to stay. Most places during the summer, especially on holiday weeks, require a one-week stay. Please read the questions on the right side of the page about towns and activities first.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,559 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers with toddler in tow!

There is no way to avoid traffic on July 4th week.

Check out Falmouth.

Edited: 11:39 am, June 17, 2013
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers with toddler in tow!

Two towns that allow for walking to beach & town are Harwichport & Wellfleet (on the harbor side). There are no "beat the traffic" options on summer weekends on the Cape, you can try to minimize the impact by traveling at off-peak times. You should make your reservations ASAP. I would not take a toddler on a whale-watch as it is 3 hours with not a lot to do (besides see the whales). If you want to get out on the water, a shorter option is a 90 minutes seal cruise from Chatham.

You might also take a look at the Red Jacket resorts on the Cape, tho they are not walkable to town they cater specifically to families & have a lot to offer so that you don't have to spend a lot of time in the car.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers with toddler in tow!

You know July 4th is in 2 weeks right? You need to reserve ASAP. I would also suggest the Red Jacket in south yarmouth but there's not much in the way of walkable restaurants and there's no way you're going to avoid traffic on the biggest weekend of the summer.

Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers with toddler in tow!

If I were you I would look for something closer to home. The toddler won't know anything different and you will save yourself a lot of aggravation. If you decide on the Cape I agree that Falmouth would be a good choice. At this stage you may have to settle for what you can get in the way of accommodation.

East Greenbush, New...
Level Contributor
767 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers with toddler in tow!

I agree with the Red Jacket recommendation. They have a restaurant on premises that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner; indoor pool, outdoor pool; private beach; children's activities and you can rent jet ski's and kayaks and go parasailing right from the property.

I agree, too, that I'd skip the whale watch with a toddler.

7. Re: First Timers with toddler in tow!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 20, 2014