We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frequently asked question

NYC
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Frequently asked question

Hi I am planning a 4 night getaway to cape cod over July 4 th, will be my husband , my 4 year old son and my parents. My husband and I have been to the cape thrice before but last trip was over 6 years ago. We have stayed in Hyannis - too bustling, liked Yarmouth and have stayed in Provincetown too. I like the seaside coastal feel but at the time only Hyannis had traffic now I have reviewed here that traffic is horrendous. The main purpose of this trip is to go whale watching. We have been from Provincetown but parents have never been. My question is which town and hotel would be easiest to go whale watching. I am open to staying in Hyannis just so we don't deal with traffic. Would spend $250-300 per night, I am Hilton honors member - in case they r recommended.we love the beach but am ok as long as we can go whale watching , maybe a trip to Martha's - never been or Nantucket- have been. We like to see the water. Which hotel n town do u recommend? Thanks so much

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frequently asked question

Plan to go to the mid-Cape whale watch....www.whales.net.....and that gives you a big range of hotels where you can stay in towns all around. There are a lot of beachfront properties on Nantucket Sound in South Yarmouth as well as Dennisport if you want to be right ON the beach....always nice for a beach holiday. Then you can hop the ferry from Hyannis to MV or Nantucket or hop the Harwich ferry to Nantucket. Have fun.

NYC
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frequently asked question

Thanks so much. Do whale.net and dolphin fleet go to the same spot to see whales? Are there any hotels with kitchenettes in this area that anyone knows about? Thanks

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frequently asked question

Yes they all go to Stellwagen banks. Yes, kitchettes are available. One of many on the Yarmouth beaches are the cottages on the sand at Seaside Cottages. Accommodations line the beach one after another there.

Then in Dennisport there are kitchettes at www.colonybeachmotel.com also ON the sand but again there are other options along this strand too. Maybe you want to google map these beach areas and jot down the names then check for availability. Alternately you can call each of these towns chambers of commerce and see what input they can give you for the holiday accommodations. Good luck

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frequently asked question

Agree with CCC,, staying midcape is a good home base to go whalewatching from Barnstable Harbor; and to take a ferry to the islands from Hyannis HarborHarbor. Lots of fun daytrips! And there's alot to choose for accommodations. Have a great trip!

:)

Edited: 6:21 pm, May 21, 2013
NYC
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frequently asked question

Thanks do much will check these out.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frequently asked question

If you're taking a 4 year-old on a whale watch, make sure you bring some other activities for him. It is a long trip for that age and there's going to be a pretty good part of it where he's not interested in whales anymore.

NYC
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frequently asked question

Thanks I will carry activities for him. Didn't think pt it at all. Thanks

NYC
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frequently asked question

Any other options for accommodations with fridge microwave ? Would be appreciated. The seaside cottages is only doing one week rentals and colony beach motels - not getting the rooms we want. How is double tree Hilton in Yarmouth? Or any other suggestions close to or in Hyannis , Yarmouth would be appreciated. Thanks

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frequently asked question

Since you are a Hilton honors member that might be a good plan for you. The location is not super desirable but only because it is on the main commercial road in Hyannis. Nothing wrong with it but nothing charming either. If you want to stay in Hyannis then how about harbor front accommodations: http://www.anchorin.com/default.asp

NYC
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frequently asked question

Thanks cape cod Charlie, anchorin, sea crest n all are booked. Now I better book fast so I get something . With Hilton we have perks but let me ask between the double tree and red jacket beach resort which would be more suitable ? We do like the beach also but as long as its nice ,around the ferries with food options around its fine.i did want a fridge n microwave but I guess those seem booked. Thanks so much,please let me know.