We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

Truckee, California
Level Contributor
54 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

Hi all- I realize there is a Provincetown vs. Hyannis post just before mine, but my question is slightly different in that we're traveling with my 3 year-old son.

We'll be arriving on Monday, April 15th & staying until Thursday afternoon, April 18th (we fly out of Boston Airport Friday morning).

I am planning on renting a simple home in one of the towns - just trying to decide which. I was leaning toward Provincetown, but the extra hour drive (from Hyannis) is making me wonder if Hyannis would be easier (in & out to Boston)?

Wish list: walk most everywhere: beach, town for dinner or breakfast, maybe a cool book shop & boutiques. Seems whale watching opens then, so maybe we'll do a tour. Hope for some activity, people & open restaurants, even though it's off season.

I'd assume there won't be much traffic getting in & out?

Any thoughts on Provincetown vs Hyannis & great things to do as a family are greatly appreciated!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,484 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

Hyannis & Provincetown: totally different atmospheres. I know much more about Provincetown than Hyannis and would lean to the former. The beach is a bit of a hike but an easy bike ride if that is possible for you. Once you are in Provincetown you do not need a car to do things.

Both have plenty of restaurants, shops and other attractions. Provincetown is more bohemiam while Hyannis more cosmopolitan.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

First of all it will be very cold in April for a whale watch and I would hesitate to take a three year old. Too long out on the water and could be very boring for a child. I'm not sure that either of your choices for a place to stay is that great. but that's my personal opinion and either one may suit you very well. My choice would be Orleans, again a personal choice.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,837 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

I've been staying in Truro and visiting Ptown 2 or more times a year since my kids (now 14 & 16) were born. We have always found plenty to do but we usually visit in between mid-May and early-Sept. That said there is much more to the Cape than these twi places. What is it that attracted you to them?

Personally I thing you'll find April in ptownVERY quiet and not particularly kid-friendly because there are not a whole lot of kids who live there year round. The critter cruise won't be running. The takeout food stands will have limited hour, if they are even open for the season and do on.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

I think the toddler addition is just a red herring. Answer is that neither is great in April. Is there a 3rd option, maybe Newport with beaches and mansions and restaurants and history.. Maybe a day trip to Mystic Seaport would be fun for a 3 yo.

If you insist on the Cape, everywhere will be quiet.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

I think that Falmouth would be a good choice. There is a lovely children's bookstore there, www.eightcousins.com plus a pleasant town to walk around in. Probably not warm enough to sit on the beach but may be ok for walking and there a lot of beaches in the area. You may also be able to take the ferry over to Martha's Vineyard from Woods Hole, weather permitting, the little one may enjoy that.

Edited: 4:58 pm, February 21, 2013
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

If you select Falmouth then be sure to visit the Children's Museum in Mashpee. Also make your very first stop a visit to the Falmouth Visitor's center. They are located on a little alleyway that runs off Main St..

if you want to see what the weather was like on the Cape over the same dates in years past you can look at the history tab at www.wunderground.com.

Hope you can get a cozy cottage that has a fireplace.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

http://www.falmouthhomes.com/

If you choose Falmouth then you can contact Dennis at Donohue for a rental. At the time that you are going you might need help since it is off, off season and most rentals will be closed for the winter.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

In-season cottage rental usually has a minimum one week stay (from Sat-Sat). Off season, owners may be willing to do a shorter rental, but it would need to be a year-round place with heat vs a purely summer cottage. Be sure to confirm that it has heat. Low temperatures could be in the 30's.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,484 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

In case there are any potential visitors to P-Town who have toddlers that are not "red herrings" there is a small town beach in the far West End off of Commercial Street. It is on the harbor and looks out to Long Point, but it is suitable for those who have small children and do not want to go to Herring Cove or Race Point.

Truckee, California
Level Contributor
54 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WITH TODDLER - Provincetown vs. Hyannis

Hi all-

Thanks for all the posts & ideas.

I have looked into cottages & it does not seem difficult to get one for 3-4 nights off-season.

We live in Truckee, CA (Lake Tahoe) so we are very, very used to the cold, snow, etc. Oftentimes we are the cold-spot in the nation & we're bundled in jackets, boots & sweaters everyday for 5-6 months.

BTW, my concern about our toddler is not a "red herring". My husband & I have traditionally traveled anywhere, any time we choose-- despite poor or cold weather, off-season, etc. & yes, we are trying to be more thoughtful about this now with a child in the picture who may not deal with all of this as easily as we do.