We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigating Martha's Vineyard

Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Navigating Martha's Vineyard

We will be on the Cape the first part of September with two little ones, 5 & 2. I am planning on a day on MV, going to Oak Bluffs from Woods Hole on the ferry. I really want to see Camp Meeting Association and the Flying Horses Carousel. My question is, we want to rent bicycles with a burley (cart for the back of one of the bikes for the kids to sit in), is this going to be a good way to get around? I realize we won't be seeing all the island, but I really want to spend the day outdoors (not really on a bus or in a car) stopping by a nice beach, eating great seafood, and just enjoying the island.

Are the towns spread too far apart to get there by bicycle? I also really wanted to eat at Larsens Steamed Lobsters for lunch; will this be too far from Oak Bluffs to visit on bicycle? If it were just my husband and I, we could go further and be a little more carefree, but with the kids, we just want it to be relaxed and enjoyable. Thanks for any advice!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigating Martha's Vineyard

I don't think that riding bikes and pulling children behind you is going to be relaxing unless you ride somewhere with no traffic. You can see the Camp Meeting Grounds and the Carousel in Oak Bluffs, no need for bikes to do that. Suggest that you use the local bus to go to a beach or perhaps Edgartown. Don't try to do too much.

Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigating Martha's Vineyard

Thanks for your reply! I didn't realize that MV wasn't that "bike-friendly". I guess I thought going through town and then out to the beach would be fun, but if there is a lot of traffic and bikes have to share the road, that idea is out! Thanks! We'll stick to renting on the Cape.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigating Martha's Vineyard

I think that it is bike friendly up to a point and perhaps you should wait to hear more from others who have done it. I have to admit that I shudder when I see children being pulled behind bikes. Those same children are securely contained when in a car but look so vulnerable in those bike contraptions, no protection at all in an accident.

Even on the Cape the roads are narrow and winding. You'll be fine on the various bike paths and perhaps quiet local roads.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navigating Martha's Vineyard

Hi, actually you can ride bikes with the kids on the Vineyard. A nice ride is between Oak Bluffs and Edgartown, which will bring you along the road that State Beach is on.

Here is a map of the bike paths on the island:

marthasvineyardbike.com/marthas-vineyard-bik…

Here's some additional info:

mvy.com/Visitor_Information/Biking_on_the_Vi…

Larsen's is "up island" and would be quite a haul especially with kids.

Edited: 6:44 pm, February 04, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navigating Martha's Vineyard

Hi, I want to second Kendrik's recommendations for biking on the Vineyard. It's a great place to see by bicycle as the three larger "Down Island" towns (Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven and Edgartown) are linked by dedicated *off road* bicycle paths. So, safe riding with no car traffic. IMHO it's one of the best things about the Vineyard.

My husband and I regularly visit the island on our boat and will rent bicycles for a 3-4 day stay. We've been able to get everywhere on the island using the bikes and bus system.

You could easily rent bikes in OB and bike along the path to Edgartown stopping at State Beach for a swim along the way. State Beach is a nice calm beach for little ones and the bike path in this part of the island is (fairly) flat -- although, you can get a pretty stiff headwind riding along the beach on a summer afternoon. It's about 5.5 miles along the path from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown.

Larsens is in Menemsha - it would not be doable in a day trip on bicycles. It's a 25-30 mile round trip bike ride from OB and at least an hour on the bus.

Have fun!

Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Navigating Martha's Vineyard

Thanks for the info! Maybe reconsidering bicycles for our visit!

7. Re: Navigating Martha's Vineyard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod